Monday, July 03, 2023

 Now life begins to close in.

No hair appts until Thursday. The physiotherapist came and has pretty well flattened me. She, too, will reappear on Thursday. She has printed out some easy exercises for me, but says not to attempt a class yet.

The woman next to me at supper just now assured me that neither she nor the two next to her were paying anything to be here. Could that be true? At best/worst it will mean that they are being lodged at the request of the Council until their houses can be sold. If so, they are here because every other care home in Edinburgh is full to the rafters. I’ll never find out, alas.

I enjoyed the first day of Wimbledon. There was an article in the New Yorker once, many years ago, before their journalism became completely devoted to racial issues, telling us in some detail how that green, green First Day grass is achieved. It is a wonderful sight. 

Wordle: three was today’s score, including me. But Thomas needed five, and Rachel flattened us all with a TWO.



8 comments:

  1. In England, the council will cover care home fees if you have less than a certain amount of savings and no home to sell. I understood that provision was more generous in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:39 AM

      Yes, but only to a minimum value. Care home fees vary a lot. The council payment, even in Scotland, wouldn't cover someplace like Cramond.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:59 PM

    Maybe their families were paying for it but the ladies didn't know that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous7:38 AM

      That seems quite likely.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous5:46 PM

    This matter is none of Jean's or our business and should not be discussed here. I think that anything that the other people in this care facility say to Jean should be treated as confidential by her. I would not want a complete stranger blogging about something I said to them casually about my life. Jean knows nothing about their financial position and none of us need to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:22 PM

    I don't think people here are in fact discussing the business of the other residents (and of course we don't know who they are, anyway) but rather comparing the varying public funding levels between different countries in the UK. It is an interesting situation, and even residents in these countries often have mistaken understanding of how things work. I am certainly appreciative if someone takes the time to help me have a better understanding of an issue which may be important to me and to my family in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar12:26 AM

    I'm glad to hear that meal-time conversation has begun. From what I read, physio is supposed to be tiring. It's also a positive sign that they believe you are up to it.
    Wordle in two - proof of psychic talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:42 PM

    I see poor weather has affected Wimbledon again. Very disappointing for the players. Have you tackled the knitting yet? I don't recall what you took with you . I can quite understand if the new acquaintances are temporarily more interesting than the knitting project. My mother always loved studying the other people in her hospital ward or nursing home placement. JennyS

    ReplyDelete