Friday, September 13, 2024

  Nothing to report. I’m comfortable but  increasingly sleepy. I have been prescribed something based on a very modest dose of morphine but have resisted taking it (a) because I don’t need it; it is possible to manoeuvre the hip into a comfortable position; and  b) because morphine seems a step too far at this point in my general decline.

  I’ve finished Waugh’s Men at Arms and proceeded to Pinker’s famous Language Instinct. I think I must have read it long ago because I am assailed by the feeling (and it feels familiar) that Pinker himself doesn’t know enough languages. Is he just talking about English?

   I still haven’t figured out a way to resume knitting.

   Wordle: i am currently in the happy position of having scored three for four successive .days. Yesterday, at least, was pire fluke. My starters gave me three greens.  I thought of a word. I typed it in. It was right. It was only afterwards that I realised there were at least six other possibilities .

   Today I had two greens and two browns and may well have come up with the only answer. Everybody else on the home team had three as well except for Rachel and Ketki who both scored two.  Theo was another three. Roger was today’s dunce with four.

   

   



3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:19 PM

    Comfortable is good.

    Pinker makes lots of interesting points but I think his case is overstated. And the last 30 years of research of animal communication don't support his arguments....
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:59 PM

    So nice to hear from you…as always.
    weavinfool

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar3:05 PM

    Good scores!
    Maybe you have learned how the puzzle writers think. I heard that scoring on IQ tests relates to thinking the same way the authors do, and that also works for crossword puzzles.
    Weather in Maryland is still warm days, cool nights, light blanket wanted by morning, but air conditioning during the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete