Sunday, March 30, 2008

Cookery

Tomato, apple and celery cream soup is in Delia Smith’s basic “Complete Illustrated Cookery Course”. It doesn’t seem to be among the soups on her website. “Scotch broth” is basically neck of lamb and pearl barley with sturdy Scottish winter-type vegetables, carrot, onion, turnip, leeks, cabbage.

My poor husband meanwhile, who continues to improve, is crying out for Heinz Cream of Tomato and Campbell’s Chicken Noodle.

and Knitting

Jayne, thanks for the tip about Mirasol Hacho. Gorgeous, indeed. I’d worry about pure wool for socks, though, even with reinforced heels – my loved ones aren’t strong on tender, loving care. Maybe I can think of something else to use it for.

Helen quotes an interesting remark of Dufy’s in her latest post, about a conflict between form and colour. I think perhaps socks are a peculiarly good way to show off beautiful yarn.

Hannahknits asked about the pattern for the First Holy Communion veil I illustrated a couple of days ago. I just tried Googling, and was pleased to see that it came top of the list – I don’t think there’s another pattern out there. You’d still need the Kinzel book for the actual stitch pattern for the cross. I’d be very happy to provide any additional help I could.

The gansey

It’s finished. I’ll postpone the picture until I have it anesthetised upon a table (=blocked).

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:42 AM

    congratulations on the gansey, can't wait to see it on
    jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup - my favourite childhood comfort nourishment when feeling poorly. Best wishes to your husband as he continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:43 PM

    I am so looking forward to seeing the gansey and hoping it does its magic.

    Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup is a panacea, here's wishing himself well soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. chicken noodle soup is easy on the body, but the Scotch broth sounds divine.

    Congrats on the gansey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:29 PM

    I greatly loved Campbell's Scotch Broth when I was a child. I wonder whether they still make it? Only in the States?
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Mazel Tov on the gansey!!! Hooray! Can't wait to see it.

    (I grew up on Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup too! - Best wishes to your husband!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:42 AM

    Congrats on finishing up your gansey. I am excited to see how it looks.

    ReplyDelete