Thursday, March 13, 2008

A week is a long time, full stop.

Fr David Gemmell died, a week ago today.

On Saturday, Scotland won the Calcutta Cup (=beat England at rugby).


I finished one Araucania sweater



and started another.

Fr David was a good priest, a good man, a good friend. He was of our children’s generation, young for dying. It took everyone by surprise, including David himself, who had gone to Barcelona with Fr Hugh to see a football match. (Celtic lost.) It was a great shock, as well as a great sadness.

You can learn something of the man here when the page goes back up. For now, the cathedral has exceeded its bandwidth limit, whatever that means. Skip the Cardinal, and read the recollections of the Man in the Pew.

I think I’ll leave it there, for today.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Jean I'm sorry for you loss - I will go back and look when the cathedral has its site up and running again. Simple knitting like the Auracana is a comfort in sad times, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Father David's death was a shock - he was such a lovely man . He was priest at the primary school when some of my children were there and it always amazed me that he remembered me outside of the school and had time to chat even though we are not members of the RC church.
    He will be sadly missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I followed your link re Father David's death and read many of the comments. He left an amazing legacy of love and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what wonderful tributes -- he was obviously a man from whom one learned much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. May his memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete