Friday, March 07, 2014

Little to report.

I finished the second sleeve of the Milano. There was a minor hitch – the sleeve concludes with a little cuff made of six rows alternating k1p1 rib with st st. I started happily off and then looked at it and saw an ugly line of purl bumps, every other stitch. Then I had a closer look at the first sleeve and saw that I had sensibly started with a st st row. So I frogged and did it that way. Common sense, really.

So today's job is to pick up the neck stitches. Then just 12 rounds of st st, I think it is, cast off and leave it to curl.

Life

Ordering groceries on-line is hard work, and not nearly as much fun as walking up and down the aisles reading labels and tossing in little treats for oneself. But I got it done, and presumably subsequent orders will be quicker because they will let me load last week's list and amend it.

“Pulse” came, and has proved rather a disappointment. Too many lentil recipes – my husband claims not to like them; too many recipes allowing me to tip beans out of a tin. I do that all the time, and now I want to be inspired to soak and cook them properly. My sister swears by Rancho Gordo's book which I think is called Heirloom Beans.


I am afraid I have now ordered “Bean by Bean” by Crescent Dragonwagon. This is ridiculous, but who could resist that name? (It's not genuine.)

11 comments:

  1. rosesmama12:01 PM

    I knew I had heard the name Crescent Dragonwagon before, so I checked Google. She has written numerous children's books, which I must have come across in my reading-to-small-children days.

    Re: beans. Yesterday I fretted all day because I thought I had left my pot of beans simmering on the stove. I hadn't but it is a real threat. One needs to always check the stove when in bean cooking mode.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Crescent Dragonwagon's Soup Book which I use and enjoy, especially the bean recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One benefit of Pulse then is that you know how many grams from a tin is equal to how many grams dried beans. I often come across interesting recipes online, but find it difficult to convert the tin weights to dry. I noticed that yesterday when I looked at the sample on Amazon. Off to look at bean by bean now.
    Thinking of you
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recommend The Bean Book by Rose Elliot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexis5:09 PM

    We have Bean By Bean! Try the 1950s style black bean soup -- include the ketchup! It is actually good with the lemon and egg garnishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5:12 PM

    Crescent Dragonwagon! Shades of the hippy-dippie '70s.

    I heartily recommend Rancho Gordo, but perhaps shipping costs to the UK make it an impractical source for you. They're not currently offering my favorite bean, the red calypso, in any case. Perhaps you'll be able to find it elsewhere for a taste test.
    -- stashdragon

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited to see we have a Rancho Gordo retail outlet in our town, so an heirloom bean taste test may be in our household's future. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:27 PM

    Jean, Crescent's bean book is wonderful, quite varied and even has desserts in it. I use it all the time. best, Mary in Cincinnati

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Bean by Bean! She definitely emphasizes using dried beans, the Harira and Pasta Fagiole are now nearly weekly standards at our house

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:21 AM

    G'day. May I suggest sprouting lentils? They are delicious in sandwiches, salads, scattered over things, etc. Other pulses (eg, chick peas) are also good sprouted and eaten raw or cooked. I shall look out for the books mentioned here (except for the Rose Elliot which I have).

    I am glad you are feeling a little better and hope for your further improvement.

    LMcC

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for Crescent Dragonwagon! She has some great recipes, though I don't know that particular book.
    Legumbres Judions are wonderful giant spanish butter beans - I found them on amazon uk but I saw them once in a southern branch of Sainsbury's.

    ReplyDelete