Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The hummus is delicious – that should pack some calories in. I actually peeled the chick peas – not only a new activity, for me, but a whole new concept. Dragonwagon says that she doesn't always do it, because it's time-consuming (she's right there) but that you get a creamier hummus if you do, and grandmothers in the Middle East would be horrified, she says, if they knew you were making hummus without peeling the chick peas.

I wonder, too, if part of the success may be because I was using freshly-bought chick peas (from a health food shop with a good turnover) instead of ones that had been in my cupboard for five years.

Health

Alexander is going to come over tomorrow to go to the dr's appt with me. It is heroic of him – five hours of driving, at least, even now that Rest and Be Thankful has re-opened after its latest landslide. And what can the doctor say? Take these pills. See this cardiologist. Still, it will be wonderful to see him and the others think I should have someone with me.

Knitting

I'm well into the 13th repeat of the centre of the Unst Bridal Shawl. There was some trouble last night – a miscount involved tinking a few stitches, that happens, and I was less than successful at trying to grab the stitches that had been involved in a k3tog. We'll have to hope that the galloping horseman is temporarily distracted.

Rugby


Meg Warren posted this to Facebook. I thought it was funny.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:43 AM

    Glad your son is going with you to the doctor's appointment-a second set of ears is valuable when attending medical people. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow, as I am sure many others will be as well, and sending as many positive vibes as possible. And I am glad you will have company.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catriona11:21 AM

    Good luck tomorrow - hope the following will entertain you while you wait:

    http://home.web.cern.ch/cern-people/updates/2014/02/particle-physicists-norwegian-knitwear-oh-yes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made hummus. I think most people think I would have since I am a vegetarian, but nope. Now I may have to, since I know the time-consuming trick to creamy hummus.

    Best of luck with your appointment tomorrow. Great to have a second set of ears - and company - with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never peeled my chickpeas. Is it really worth it? Glad your son is going along. And by the way, now that I have happily devoured Mansfield Park nothing I pick up seems worthwhile. I'm down to back issues of the New Yorker.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Won't it be great if the doctor says, "Take these pills"...and they work?
    We'll all be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:58 PM

    Thanks for posting the link to the video on Facebook. The surprising ending made me laugh out loud.

    Good luck on your doctor's appointment tomorrow, Jean. I'm happy to hear that Alexander is going with you. As has already been said, it's good to have a second set of ears listening to what the doctor says.

    Mary G. in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:21 AM

    I should follow your stellar example and make my own hummus. I will dutifully peel the chickpeas.
    Best wishes for the medical appointment. I second the idea of the accompanying recording secretary. Glad your son can come along.
    Your fans will await the updates!
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  9. Three things:

    1. Thanks for the links to the mathematical knitting recently.

    2. Fresh beans make all the difference. I made some truly terrible bean dishes (and hummus) before I figured that out.

    3. I hope your medical appointment provides helpful information and better health!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Janette8:08 AM

    Hi Jean,
    Long time reader delurking to say that I had a lot of problems a few months ago with pop-ups and text links using Chrome. I followed the instructions at this link: http://features.m.en.softonic.com/how-to-remove-toolbars-in-chrome
    and, sure enough, there was spam toolbar causing the problem. I got rid of it and have had no further problems. Hope this helps.
    I enjoy your blog and wish you all the best for your hospital appointment :)
    Janette (New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete