Saturday, March 01, 2014

Health

The family are worried about me – Rachel phoned yesterday, as their spokesperson – and you nice people are too. I'll phone the practice on Monday and insist on seeing a dr, if only to eliminate a heart diagnosis.

Miscellaneous

Saturday has got away from me. I got up a bit late, and the day has impinged. Imploded.

So, in haste:

Helen sent this yesterday, her latest mosaic, a gift for a friend. Isn't it wonderful?


The “unswept floor” is based on a Roman mosaic. I gather from a rapid Google that there may be more than one, but I think Helen is working from the one in the Vatican Museum. Helen says that the mouse, the fish, wishbone, cherries, and shell are from the original, and she has added other things to represent her friend's life. I don't know how big it is – Helen says it will be divided into four and re-assembled on-site and with grouting you won't see the joins.

Helen herself has recognised that mosaic-making is just knitting displaced.

She and her family are off to Constantinople today, which must be the mosaic-maker's equivalent of a knitter's trip to Shetland.

And as for myself:

I didn't get much done yesterday, but I did look up the jogless join. I have also measured out the remaining knitting of the first sleeve and lined up the colours needed. I'll hope today goes better.


The jogless join – you probably know – is done by joining in the next colour as usual and knitting all the way around with it. THEN you insert the right-hand needle from behind into the first leg of the old-colour stitch in the row below the first stitch of the new-colour, lift it onto the left-hand needle, and knit it together with the first stitch of the next round. There's lots on YouTube if that doesn't make sense.  

13 comments:

  1. The mosaic is wonderful. As is the news that you will haste to the GP. Our practice has appointments that can only be booked on the day, so I hope yours does too.

    I hope the knitting lifts your spirit. And the sunshine too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hope it turns out to be a chest infection of some kind. I'm always amazed by how you seem able to turn your mind to other things - osso buco, new reading material - while obviously unwell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear your update. The mosaic is beautiful. I've done the jogless join and it made no sense at all to this beginning knitter. However, I was impressed with the result.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:04 PM

    Wow the mosaic is really impressive. I am guessing working on a mosaic is akin to the process of knitting a large project like a shawl or sweater? Slow but worth the efforts.
    Yes the tiles of Constantinople/Istanbul are indeed a dream. I have really enjoyed visiting the "Tiled Kiosk" museum near the Archaeology Museum.
    I just came across a link to this stunning tile in the David Museum in Copenhagen. Apparently hyacinths, tulips and cherries represent the tree of life.
    http://www.davidmus.dk/en/collections/islamic/dynasties/ottomans/art/isl_182
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen's mosaic is lovely and I'm pleased that you will seek an earlier appointment for your symptoms. Your health was often in my thoughts yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. adding my vote to others about seeing the dr asap.

    the mosaic is gorgeous - your family is so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to be Helen's friend! What a gift!!
    so glad you are taking care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:20 PM

    Just a note to cheer you on! Your blog is my FIRST read each day, at work or at home. In the midst of our endless snowy winter here in the midwest, it is wonderful to learn about someone making progress. I need to be braver and chart my progress like you do. Applause, applause!

    ReplyDelete
  9. =Tamar9:04 PM

    Can I put in a request that you call the doctor today and tell whoever answers the phone about the weakness and breathlessness?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you taking the well meant advice of your friends and consulting a doctor sooner rather than later. We all want you well and back to full strength as soon as possible.
    Just finished reading all of your blog. Wonderful .you are so talented with words and also with point sticks !
    Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm added my voice to the 'glad you are going to the MD' chorus. And that mosaic - fantastic. I am going to look for the original and ponder what would be found on my unswept floor. Bits of yarn and a stitch marker for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous10:36 AM

    Surely that's the same as knitting in to the front of the stitch of the row below?

    ReplyDelete