Sunday, November 13, 2016

Followers seem to be dropping off. Oh dear.

Thank you for your concern. Our “care package” will consist of two people, four times a day, to move my husband from bed to breakfast table to daytime chair and eventually to bed again. I am not supposed to have anything to do with “transfers” for fear of another fall. He hopes to be able to walk again, tottering about with his zimmer frame, but the hospital physios don’t think it likely. What about the bathroom? I trust someone will talk to me soon, as we get our ducks into a row – is that the idiom? At the moment, they seem to prefer to talk to Greek Helen, perhaps as more likely to be compos mentis.

Thank goodness for diabetes, which will ensure a daily visit from a district nurse – and they are excellent – to administer insulin and to be consulted on anything else.

My husband is still very much on the list for the care home we have chosen. I’ll phone them tomorrow with an update.

As for world affairs, our weekend newspapers seem to settling into a mode of acceptance. And Trump himself has behaved well enough since being elected. I’m glad to know he doesn’t drink. I’ve now got the New Yorker. Helen suggests (surely rightly) that they had prepared that cover for either eventuality – all that had to be changed was the headlines. Inside, they don’t seem to know the result yet.

Knitting

All well. I wasn’t long at the hospital yesterday, as my husband had already had a visit from Helen and had the reunion with his cat to look forward to. I got home for the last half of the rugby. Scotland lost to Australia (again) by one point, after leading for almost all of the match, but I am not distressed. This time, Australia really won. Last time – when they put us out of the World Cup by one point – they didn’t. Knitlass will understand.

So the second Kaffe Fassett sock remains at about-halfway through the ribbing. The half-brioche progresses well. I have done 13 increases on the first sleeve, 10 remaining to be done – and, of course, the rows are getting longer. The instruction is to increase every 5 rows, which is slightly tricky as I am executing a 4-row pattern, but not entirely beyond my mental capacity.

My sister reports that a fellow-resident of their retirement community has repaired a hat I knit for her, and copied it, clearly very skilfully. I'm sure my original ribbing wasn't two-colour. How was it done? It seems to grip in a way that Shetland corrugated ribbing does not. The alternation of colours in the stripes shouldn't be too difficult, but I'm sure I didn't do that either.




I once knit my sister Vibeke Lind’s “Striped cap with decreasing at alternating angles” – page 91 of my copy of “Knitting in the Nordic Tradition”. That’s a book which will undoubtedly will be with me on my final move. But the one above was a more recent, and less exciting, effort.


Helen, lately, had been wearing a jacket I only half remember. It’s knit on the bias, and I think the idea was just to start going and knit until you have a plausible chest measurement. I must look back through the archives. The yarn is good, too. It sort of glows.



13 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Enlarging the photo of the hat, it seems it may be a self striping yarn. That combined with a simple k1 p1 ribbing seems to give the look of corrugated rib but maybe not. (Sometimes I love it when the yarn does all the work).
    Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:07 PM

    So glad to hear your best mate is coming home! His internal strength is to be admired although his physical power falters. I am so looking forward to seeing your Kaffe Fassett socks.....your socks are my favorite creations although that hat is a hum-dinger. Be well and keep writing. We haven't fallen off, just dealing with holidays and that terrible election. its called life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:38 PM

    I don't think it is corrugated ribbing, but a twisted stitch ribbing knit in a heathery yarn. Very nice hat!
    Inge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zooming in on the photo, I agree with Inge. I have Vibeke Lind, I'll have to look for that hat. Although it has been so freakishly warm here I haven't worn a hat yet at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:06 PM

    Wishing you the best as things develop in the coming week.
    - Beth in Ontario

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6:09 PM

    You mentioned followers are dropping off, so I thought I'd come clean and admit to lurking. You have brightened my morning for over a year, long may you continue! Hoping all goes well with your husband's return.-Sarah in Somerset

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm another lurker who enjoys your posts very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous7:11 PM

    Another longtime reader here, not on your 'official' follower list, but you are certainly on my daily must-read list. Wishing I could offer more practical support but have to make due with hoping the next week and beyound goes smoothly for you.
    That's a great hat! Wooly Wormhead?
    AnnP in NY

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous10:03 PM

    Me too -- another long-time lurker. I do enjoy reading your posts, and thanks to you have discovered and thoroughly enjoyed "The Fortnight in September" by R.C. Sherriff. Thank you.
    Thinking of you.
    Kate H in West London

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too am a longtime lurker. I follow you via Bloglovin', I don't think that shows on your stats, does it?

    And I second the twisted rib with a variegated yarn analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1:03 PM

    and another lurker coming clean - I read every day. Thanks to you Jean we are currently planning our second trip to Shetland - the first was inspired by your trip and the lure of knitting, now we're hooked.
    Sue





    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Another lurker! More people than you know appreciate your posts and help you both knit and worry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous4:51 PM

    And yet another longtime lurker. I think I may even have commented once, back when you were knitting the Princess shawl. Wishing you all the best.
    -Jean K.

    ReplyDelete