Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Happy American Thanksgiving, to all who are celebrating. I’m glad to be out of it.

It worked yesterday -- I'll try again. I sit here with my husband and my iPad, writing an email to myself, and then, later. polish it quickly off and send it on to you.  I could wish the iPad wasn't so eager to guess what I mean -- and even to criticize my prose style.

Grand news, with a considerable implication for knitting: Hellie and Matt are expecting a baby next summer. She phoned today. They've had the 12-week scan. 



(Those are my sister and her husband Roger emerging from the church door.)

So, the question is, of course  -- what to knit? I was so pleased with Gudrun Johnston's Hansel hap, recently knit for great-nephew Emmett in DC, that it's tempting to do it again. Sharon Miller has a section in her hap book offering a choice of colour schemes. But, at a glance, none seem as solidly good as Gudrun's. Or I could knit the Moder Dy -- Kate Davies' own contribution to her "Book of Haps". Perhaps using J&S jumper weight, as Kate herself did for an alternate version? Not as huge as the original, knit in Buachaille. But what's wrong with huge?

And, quite apart from great-grandchildren, you're absolutely right, Beverly (comment yesterday) -- I need to knit that sweater for my husband with the Madtosh DK you got for me. (I saw the yarn in Loop when I was down there in January; they didn't have enough; I ordered some; they eventually emailed to say that the colour was being discontinued; Beverly found some in the US and bought it for me; my sister brought it on her last visit; that's the story.) (It is -- or was -- called "Tannehill" and it's beautiful. And he needs the sweater.) 


So there's lots to think about. Meanwhile I must finish that sleeve. Not much got done today.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:40 PM

    Congratulations on the new baby in the family. Hellie and Matt ought to be wonderful parents and the opportunity for lovely baby things is nice for you. Blessings on all - Joe-in Wyoming

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you have found an easy way to post to the blog! good luck with the continued settling in process!

    ReplyDelete
  3. apropos yesterdays post...

    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/table-talk-aa-gill-reviews-the-magpie-cafe-whitby-70srq3xnt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and all the best for the baby!! So glad to see you back, Jean!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new baby! Having recently done Gudrun's hap for new grand-niece, I'm currently a fan of haps for new babies. I like the idea of Moder Dy in jumper weight, or Gudrun's, OR - Ysolda Teague's latest post had a half-pi/hap hybrid, not traditional but intriguing. Maybe a bit small, although she says a good style for wrapping up a newborn.
    https://ysolda.com/collections/knitworthy-3/products/mareel

    ReplyDelete