Thursday, November 24, 2016

Not much, today – but nobody’s got much time to read, on a holiday weekend.

I have spent a Hap-py day thinking about knitting for the new great-grandchild. Hellie has her wedding shawl to wrap it in for its Christening, so that's not needed. At the moment, I'm sort of thinking "Mrs Hunter of Unst" – the famous hap pattern which is the subject of Kate Davies' interesting essay in The Book of Haps. 

I knit it for Rachel (the new baby's grandmother) before she was born. I've got the pattern. I could knit it again the proper way -- at least, the Amedro way -- edging first, borders inward (either leaving one corner open, or wraping and turning, to avoid purling). In a lace-weight yarn (not cobweb) to provide something light enough to be a useful aid to modesty when feeding a summer baby.


I've had all the books out today without getting any further. Ysolda's "Mareel" indeed looks jolly, Beth, thank you. I'll keep that one in the Possible list. Meanwhile I must finish the first half-brioche sleeve -- only a few rows to go; tomorrow should see it done -- and knit that stripey hat. 

Non-knit

Southern Gal's comment yesterday has the link to AA Gill's weekly restaurant column from last Sunday's Times, telling us about his cancer. It's often the first thing I turn to in the Sunday Times -- not that we eat out all that much. His initials stand for Adrian Anthony. I learned just the other day that he was named for the two Roman walls that cross Britain -- Hadrian's, and the Antonine. I love that.

6 comments:

  1. Dear Jean, I am across the Atlantic, listening to my family (husband, children, grandchildren) having interesting, animated conversations as we prepare to ear our Thanksgiving dinnerhere in Martland - and I think what a blessing it must be to know a great grandchild is coming, that you have knit something for this child's grandmother. What a joy. Happy Thanksgiving to you. I love this holiday, because it calls to mind our blessings and it is a national holiday, not linked to any particular religion or philosophy, or rather, linked to all. All the best. I so appreciate your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops-eat, not ear, Maryland, not Martland-Clearly I suffer from "chubby finger syndrome;)"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops-eat, not ear, Maryland, not Martland-Clearly I suffer from "chubby finger syndrome;)"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Jean, I am across the Atlantic, listening to my family (husband, children, grandchildren) having interesting, animated conversations as we prepare to ear our Thanksgiving dinnerhere in Martland - and I think what a blessing it must be to know a great grandchild is coming, that you have knit something for this child's grandmother. What a joy. Happy Thanksgiving to you. I love this holiday, because it calls to mind our blessings and it is a national holiday, not linked to any particular religion or philosophy, or rather, linked to all. All the best. I so appreciate your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happily getting used to the new system - I can settle into my pillows secure in the knowledge that you have negotiated another day, instead of keeping on checking back through the morning and however long it takes for you to get a report up. So thanks for keeping us in the loop.
    It must have been in the Torygraph that I saw the anti-wool ad - as ranted about in your comments. Today there are two nicely firm letters explaining why we have to take the wool off sheep, whether we want to or not. Oh I am so glad that we do want to!
    All best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Browsing for a shawl/wrap/blanket for a new little one sounds like a perfect pleasure.

    ReplyDelete