Saturday, June 16, 2018


Tonight’s computer tragedy is that it won’t play Meg’s Fair Isle Vest video. I’ve wasted valuable time trying. Is this another feature of the upgrade?

I’ve finished the third Fair Isle band of Alexander’s Calcutta Cup vest, and have decided to divide for the v-neck half-way through the next one. It is time to listen to Meg’s gentle advice; very frustrating not to be able to. I think, by good luck rather than good management, the v-neck will begin in the middle of an X rather than an O.

I am not entirely happy with the amount of yarn available. My one mission at the EYF market, as far as I can remember, was to get yarn for this vest. And so I did – but what I now seem to have is a considerable quantity of a mid-grey which doesn’t figure in the vest, the dark grey which I do use in every Fair Isle band about to run out, and a couple of other colours in a precarious state. I’d better order some more. Nothing worse than worrying about running out – except, perhaps, actually running out. Fortunately, in Fair Isle, you can change dye lots with impunity.

Here’s the vest:



Here’s a dead cat (not):



There is an interesting post from Kate Davies today about her forthcoming book “Handywoman” – about her stroke and how it has transformed her life. I’ve pre-ordered, as I may have said.  The pre-order also includes a pattern for hare-and-tortoise gauntlets. They’re good, but I don’t think I’ll bother downloading. My HALFPINT list already stretches out to the crack of doom.

Non-knit

I didn’t accomplish anything today, I don’t think. The new shoes I ordered for my cruise have arrived, and they’re blissfully comfortable. Are we all – the other 10 or 11 passengers, I mean – fitting ourselves out with new wardrobes?

Poor Glasgow! The last time the College of Art had a bad fire it turned out, I think, to have been started by an electrical fault in some equipment a student was using (and left on) to prepare for the end-of-year show. And it’s that time of year again. This fire sounds much worse.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:29 PM

    The vest is looking great! The blue band now fits in nicely.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree; the colors would I think be a bit too (dare I say) calm? without that blue. I like it more all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean, Your "dead" cat looks much like my dead cat - must be something in cat DNA which makes them love that position so much! And don't we all love to buy new clothes when going on a trip! Is it for the other travelers, or for ourselves? I think the vest is looking great. I agree with Kay T, I like it more all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. =Tamar12:29 AM

    The vest is grand. So are comfortable new shoes!

    ReplyDelete