Friday, August 25, 2023

 And today I learned that the secret of getting to and from the dining room under my own steam is to do it alone. If a carer supervises (out of nothing but kindness) I can’t keep up with her and therefore ask for the wheelchair. On my own, I stop at one or even both of the resting places and puff for five minutes before going on.

  And I realised, while resting at the second stopping place just outside the television lounge just now, that one of the merits  of this place is a fair degree of sound-proofing. At home, in my room, with the door shut, I can’t hear anybody’s television. 

 Otherwise there is nothing to report. Nobody came to see me except a doctor. I’m fine. I realised after she left that what is wrong with me now is not so much internal organs of one sort or another, but my skeleton.  The hip is the worst, but it’s not all.

  I keep meaning to tell you that Toast is selling, for a steep price, a sleeveless ladies’ pullover made of scraps of leftover yarn. It specifically mentions that the ends are woven in. Still, we could do that.

  Wordle: it looked for a good while as if all we cisAtlantic Wordlers would score three today. But then, quite late in the afternoon, Alexander registered five. That was also Theo’s score. Roger had a four.

  





8 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I've just looked up that garment and I am sure you could! Do you recall Kaffe Fassett's instructions for achieving a multi-coloured yarn? ie, to gather together yarns of the same thickness and as many colours as possible, then cut random lengths and knot them together (other joins may be used). Then just use it as a single strand of yarn. It could be a useful stash buster. You could use whatever pattern you like for the shaping. What do you think? Could it be a possibility? It is certainly an opportunity to go through one's stash.
    Helen (anon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:29 AM

      I do this with scraps for dog-walking hats and gloves. If it's Kaffe Fassett, I shall wear them with pride this winter!

      Sarah in Somerset

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:42 PM

    Have you ever heard of the Danish knit designer Laerke Bagger? The Toast vest steals quite openly from her ideas I think, she also encourages you to save scraps, knot them and knit them along with a neutral coloured base yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Lou12:29 AM

    It took me five today, and then I was a bit embarrassed. Why do I choose a more obscure word over a common one? And I'm sure we all have enough yarn to make the pullover from Toast. But the whole styling looks like the 70's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "the merits of this place is a fair degree of sound-proofing": absolutely spot on. And agree with Anon 11:42 post above - intellectual property as cited. Glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar7:18 AM

    Ah. I hate being rushed, too. At my own speed, I can trudge along pretty well. And the walking puts impact pressure on the bones that helps restore the calcium. So walk on!
    Soundproofing can make the difference between comfort and aggravation.
    Scrappy sweaters can be pretty, but if I were just using up scraps I think I would make hats. Stripes can be random, and if they are interspersed with narrow stripes of a base color, it looks designed.
    Weather not bad here, but air quality is often poor. Next week they are predicting storms again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:52 PM

    There are some beautiful, subtle, interesting scrap yarn sweaters out there. The Toast version isn't quite there, for me. But using up bits and pieces of yarn, by whatever method, definitely interests me as a goal for this winter.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made a granny squares blanket using almost a whole ball of a different colour of adriafil knitcol in the crazier colour ways for each square. I am over the moon with the blanket and also with the mad crazy beanie I made to use up all the leftovers. I've a part made chunky blanket in the 'chest of shame'; it's going to be far to heavy as s blanket but as a scrappy jumper....hmm!

      Delete