Sunday, June 16, 2024

 More grey, more rain. The newspapers are beginning to notice, but can  promise no relief. Very dispiriting.

   C. came this morning and I heard all about her week in Sicily. It sounds fairly successful and very strenuous. She brought me a delicious-looking jar of anchovies in olive oil. For my breakfast doze this very morning I had been listening to Nigella reading her own “Cook, Eat, Repeat”. The first chapter is all about anchovies. I own the book so I can refer to the actual recipes. Except that they look so plump and delicious in their little jar that I will be loath to open it.

   Mary Lou, I have started to listen to “Wilding” for the intervals when I am fairly wide awake and actually knitting. I’m very grateful to you for suggesting it. We’ve known Strathardle for 60 years now. It has changed a lot although not in the direction of big farms. Our own land, let to the same family for most of that time, doesn’t grow crops any more — oats, turnips, potatoes, raspberry plants for growers in Blairgowrie. It’s all sheep now. And wildlife is undoubtedly diminishing. I can’t remember when I last saw a hare or a hedgehog or a duck. 

   Today, however, I didn’t get any knitting done. I was awake and listening to “Wilding” and untangling the knitting when a neighbour called.

   Anonymous, thank you for your message yesterday about Mt.Athos. It’s still men-only. It’s a special administrative section of Greece, the whole peninsula, which is how they get away with it. I think kittens and eggs and honeybees are not unknown, however.

   Wordle: I forgot to tell you yesterday that my winning streak has passed 40. Today was routine. Two browns and a green from my starters.A brief struggle to think of anything. It was wrong, but helpful. I got it in four.

   Ketki had five. Rachel shared my four. The other four members of the home team all managed it in three. C. also had a three today. Theo had four — he approached it as I did, with the three central squares green on line three. Roger scored three.

   

3 comments:

  1. We went for a short walk on the Knepp Castle Estate this afternoon. Although it's close to where we live we haven't visited before. We didn't get very far along the paths today as it is very popular but will go again mid week. The wild flowers along the edges of the tracks were wonderful. Thank you all for reminding me to go and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:19 PM

    Hi Jean,
    That was me (Sarah in Manhattan) writing about Mt. Athos, sigh. It would be wonderful to be able to see it, but in another life, perhaps, when I come back as a man.
    Our travels seem to take us West to the Far East: Korea, Japan and China. And to Australia where our younger daughter lives. We visited a wonderful sheep station in New Zealand on one trip. It was huge, but they used sheep dogs rather than airplanes to herd the sheep over the huge range.
    They were proud of that fact. Merinos.
    Sarah (in Manhattan.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eileen in Chapel Hill3:59 PM

    I just saw your instagram post--your MKAL is looking great! I prefer your colour choices to mine . . .

    ReplyDelete