Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Flu injection day, early appointment. Brevity required here.

Still no picture of my Araucania swatch, but this morning Blogger says "We are aware of this problem and working on a fix". I should hope so, too.

I got to Jenner’s. Sure enough, 50% off everything, including books. I bought some KidSilk Haze. I asked as I was paying if this meant the yarn dep’t was closing, and she denied it, as happened to you, Mogs. They are just making room for new stock. It certainly felt like a closing-down sale to me. We shall see.

The Earth Stripe Stole is up to 15”. It looks nice. There are errors, including, I discovered to my horror yesterday, a wedge-shaped stripe which must mean that I turned around in mid-row. Even my grandson Alistair, knitting his first scarf last summer, managed to avoid that one. I’m leaving it.

I’ve updated projects in Ravelry, and I’ve figured out – or they’ve improved the system; things change fast, over there – how to replace a WIP picture with an FO one on the Projects page, without going to the length of deleting the former. I’ve still to update stash.

Comments

Mar, I’m always flattered when you stop by here, like those fans at Rhinebeck who were too shy to talk to you. We’ll see soon how KF socks look if knit fraternally, so to speak. I think I might actually like them that way, although I agree with you that the broad stripes make it risky.

Tamar (on swifts): you’re right, there are drawbacks to mine. Even with waxing, the cages don’t turn quite as easily as I’d like. I always ensure, as do we all, that yarn isn’t wound too tightly, so what I have to do is pull out a length with my left hand, and then wind it, and then repeat. A modern swift would be much faster.

6 comments:

  1. I like winding yarn by hand - I find it soothing and very rewarding since I'm good at it and produce nice even pucks of yarn that sit flat and unwind beautifully from the centre. But I'll admit that my shoulder gets tired sometimes, 'round about the 200th meter.

    All my socks are fraternal. I like them to be different...unless of course they're stranded or something, in which case they're usually identical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:52 AM

    After giving me my flu injection yesterday, my doctor informed me, in a quiet whisper, that he had been away on a cruise populated by large groups of very loud Americans. He reassured me though that he really does like Americans but.... That gave me a laugh. And thankfully I didn't have any bad reaction last night from the injection. Knitting was not impaired. Hope all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Update on Jenners...it seems they are going to have a new craft department, but it will be some sort of independent franchise or shop within a shop, so the rumour goes.

    Was there much stock left? I'm thinking of going up, regardless of budget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the look of the old swift. I would hope that if you did get a new one the old would still keep its place. What a great conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Jean, you know I love your blog. I may not always comment, but I'm here reading it. And I may have to eat my words about matching KF stripes. I finished one the other night and then went digging through the second ball to see if I could find the starting point. I made a fine mess of it, so I guess this pair will not match. As they say in Jersey, fahgedaboudit. Somehow, I got my first KF pair to match. Probably pure luck. But I don't care at this point. The colors are so wonderful, it's a pleasure to knit with this sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've loved these mention of Jenners in the last couple posts. My mom, aunt, cousin and I did a fast trip to the UK in...hmmmm...the late 60's? (Yikes, time flies.) London, Oxford, Shipton-Under-Wychwood, the Lake District and Edinburgh. By the time we made it to Edinburgh, we were broke and my aunt was sick, but I loved the city and loved Jenners. Thanks for the little trip down memory lane.

    Love your blog...I got here by way of Franklin...I think I've commented once before.

    ReplyDelete