Thursday, March 28, 2024

 The sun has come out, after a slow, cold, and very grey start. Feels good.

   Helen came again, and we got through some more chores. She is going to London on Sunday to see her oldest and dearest friend, briefly  here from France. On Wednesday Rachel and a modest selection of her descendants will arrive for a few days. Alexander and Ketki will come on Friday. Then next week when they’ve all gone away, James and Cathy will come. The mind boggles.

   Helen is going down on Sunday on a midday train. Nicole and I (the current carer) will make a Nicoise salad early in the day in the hopes that she will be able to rush in and eat a few mouthfuls before going to the station. Easter dinner.

   Knitting went well — so well that I am currently binding off the lower body. The pattern offers the option of hemming as you bind off, but I know from old experience that I would get that wrong. It starts off fine and then I find that the hem is more and more on a slant. And if that was true when I tried to do it 20 years ago…

   I spent a few moments over at the Schoolhouse Press today, as often, and learned that Meg has a new book coming out later this year. No subject mentioned. But exciting news.

   Wordle: everybody scored three or four today. Rachel and Thomas and I were the fours. 

    

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:15 PM

    Best wishes for the Easter weekend!
    You are really making a lot of knitting progress.
    Lisa R-R, Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:39 PM

    So nice to have family visits! And good news on the knitting front. I will now have a look at Schoolhouse Press....dangerous as I have too many knitting book.
    Happy Easter
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the news on Meg's new book! You are always on top of the latest - much appreciated. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:35 AM

    Hemming as you bind off? I’m not sure what that involves but there is an easy way to match rows when sewing hems on a straight line. iIf you predetermine how wide the hem will be - say five rows - you run a contrasting color lifeline along the 10th row from the end along with your project yarn, so that 10 rows later when you fold that end up you can just follow that easy-to-see lifeline. Or some refinement of that vaguely-remembered-by-me method. It may still not be a trick to your particular instance or liking, but I myself plan on trying it one day with hems (of some sort). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:38 AM

    Oh yes, Happy Easter! And thanks for the news on Meg’s book! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary Lou2:23 PM

    I never have luck with sewing down live stitches in a hem either; it alway looks wonky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. =Tamar3:15 PM

    Wow. I can't imagine hemming as you bind off. Far too fiddly, and I have done some fiddly things. Congratulations on being that far along!
    It rained heavily here one day and stubbornly the next, but is sunny for the moment today.

    ReplyDelete