Thursday, May 18, 2017

Again, there is very little to report. I’ve knit some more of the ribbing on the back of the Polliwog, slightly worried because I’m using the wrong yarn. Translating a stitch gauge is not too difficult, but here I’ve got to get the rows reasonably right, as the back folds over the front.

Still, babies don’t expect Saville Row tailoring.

Thank you for your encouragement about my strawberry pot. I’ll keep you posted on its progress. Moorecat, I agree absolutely that a ceramic donkey with panniers would be naffness-too-far. But, Amy, I am seriously tempted to add a gnome to the ensemble. Perhaps not that one. I promised you pictures. I’ll try hard again tomorrow.

Andrew and Andrea have published a new episode – she’s still got Repetitive Strain Injury and is forbidden to knit. She’s filling in with a bit of dressmaking, somewhat tedious, to my taste. Been there, done that. But I’m listed among the patrons!


I’m still catching up with the backlog. I learn that Australian magpies warble, who would have thought it? And that it is a sound which expats don’t realise how much they’ve missed until they go home and hear the magpies warbling again. And I also learned that six or eight Australians every year have one of their eyes pecked out by a magpie. Could that be true?

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about the statistic. If it is true then it would seem to be under reported in the media. What I can tell you is that my Constitutional Law lecturer was terrified of them - and freely admitted it. During the Commonwealth Games in Canberra there was a tiny cartoon in the paper which said of the runner depicted, "Magpie assisted world record disallowed." The students cut it out and put it on his office door - where it remained until he retired.
    Magpies can certainly be vicious though as they are very territorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just work the rows to measurement, which I hope is in the schematic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an Aus expat I can confirm that I definitely miss the sound of magpies in the morning. European birds just aren't the same. And they definitely take out some eyes in the Spring - we used to ride our bikes to school with outlandish helmets to try to scare them away.

    ReplyDelete