Friday, May 19, 2017

Rachel rang up this morning to say that Hellie and Matt’s baby has been officially declared to be Full Term. We have nearly the full contents of Pandora’s box still to worry about, if we want to worry – but prematurity can be struck from the list.

Here is a picture of her Polliwog, taken from in front. I am assiduously knitting away behind.



I think, studying the pattern, perhaps rather belatedly, that the answer to my question of yesterday is to make the back about an inch (eight rows) higher than the front, and then launch the short-row shaping in exactly the same way. That will raise the back neck. Then the “arms” of the back will fold forward, coming about to the point marked by those safety pins.

And then – this is brilliant! – the sleeve stitches are picked up through both thicknesses of fabric, so that there is no seaming at all. I think I’ll make the sleeves slightly shorter than specified, as I used to do for my children long ago. I said something about this to my sister-in-law once, but she assured me that her children had arms of perfectly normal length and she just followed the pattern.

The new “Knitter” arrived today. There’s a nice interview with Mucklestone. Do I want Arne & Carlos’ new book, about knitting birds? I love A&C and I have nearly all of their books, and I have at least knit several Christmas baubles from their Christmas bauble book.

But I don’t believe I am ever going to knit a bird, and I am trying, these days, to give occasional thought to the mammoth task of one day getting out of this house. That will involve -- amidst much, much else -- culling the knitting books.

Well, we’ll see.

There is an interesting-looking feature about podcasts which I may consult when I am up to date with Andrew and Andrea. Jen A-C is also interesting, and very lucid, on Combination Knitting.

I am afraid that the design on page 18, No 1 of the Studio Linen Collection, is the strongest candidate for the late and much-lamented “You Knit What??” website that I have seen for quite a while.

Here are promised pictures of my Greek olivewood bowl, first more or less on its own and then in its natural setting on the coffee table.






I have also taken pictures of my doorstep plants, but I think that’s too much to embark on now.

7 comments:

  1. That is a lovely bowl. The rim has a very smooth look. I imagine it feels like satin, too. Thanks for the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have too many knitting books, too. I DO want to knit birds😂 so I think I need A and C's book. The bowl is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about asking the library to get in the book then you can read it first to see if you want to purchase it? I try and do this if I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous3:02 PM

      I do the same - library first, then buy if absolutely smitten.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
  4. A lovely, useful memento. And nicely accented by Drop Dead Easy Knits...Looking forward to the front step plants. I am eating asparagus from the garden every few days, and watching the strawberry blossoms. Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:04 PM

    The A&C birds would make lovely Christmas ornaments. Perhaps that justifies another book purchase.
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:19 PM

    Thank you for the picture, Jean. I agree with KayT about the bowl and love the sturdy smooth thickness of the wood and how it's deep enough to store things in. I find useful, robust objects very comforting these days. Chloe

    ReplyDelete