Friday, July 29, 2005

I did get started on the income tax, and wrote that letter to our solicitor about capital gains. It has left me feeling tense and anxious instead of accomplished and hopeful, but never mind. My record-keeping has deteriorated lately, what with spending these 20 minutes every morning polishing my prose instead of cashing-up, and what with difficulties with the bank. Income tax time is when the chickens come home to roost.

I thought it was time for a progress-picture of the Princess Shawl edging, so there it is. I'm working on repeat #47 -- when that's finished, there'll only be 38 to go. That really does begin to sound like "only".

I'm nearly finished with the ribbing for the new Wallaby.

Judy wrote to tell me the source of the sweater Meg is wearing in the picture on the inside back flap of the dustjacket of her book "Knitting", namely the Aran pattern in Woolgathering 63. I've got it out and will study it thoroughly today. Thank you. And I discovered that the yarn I was clumsily trying to talk about yesterday is not Jean Anything, it's Jo Sharp. And I've found a UK source. That's progress.

Eyes

On Wednesday we went to see the Francis Bacon exhibition at the Gallery of Modern Art here in Edinburgh. I spend a lot of my life going to art exhibitions, but this one, as it happened, was the first since the cataract operation. Lots of people, post-cataract, talk about how wonderful colours suddenly look. My experience, as I think I have mentioned, is much more concerned with the texture of things. It was fascinating to look at painting in terms of paint. Next week we will be in London, trudging around many an expo. It will be interesting to practice the eye on different types of painting.

Rachel says London is full of policemen and it's all rather fun, like the good old days of the IRA. I fear obstructions and delays. At least the hot, sticky weather has dissolved into cool rain.

Seamen's Scarves

My brother-in-law recently sent me this:

[Episcopal News Service]The Christmas-at-Sea program of Seamen's Church
Institute (SCI) of New York and New Jersey is in need of knitters to make
scarves, caps, socks and vests for seafarers who come from tropical to
temperate countries and are unprepared for frigid winter weather.

SCI has an extensive ministry for the 30,000 mariners on the inland
waterways called Ministry on the River that includes support from more than
100 River Friendly Churches in 11 states.

Last year, nearly 14,000 hand-knitted gifts were place onboard vessels as
tributes to the friendliness and compassion of Americans to seafarers that
endure substantial physical hardships, and confront dangerous seas.

This year, SCI chaplains are prepared to increase distribution in the Port
of New York and New Jersey and along 2,200 miles of America's inland
waterways.

To add your name to the 3,500 knitters from every state who contribute
year-round contact Barbara Clauson at 212.349.9090 or cas@seamenschurch.org
and download patterns at http://www.seamenschurch.org

 

No comments:

Post a Comment