Monday, November 15, 2010

C. seemed very much worse last night – feverish, dopey and unresponsive, heart racing. We weren’t there. The final phone call from an anxious daughter said that she had been moved to a side room, was “sleeping peacefully” and would be closely monitored through the night. Our niece asked the nurses if the side room accommodation meant that they expected C. to die during the night, and was told, no. But they would say that, wouldn’t they?

I haven’t heard anything yet this morning. That means she must still be breathing. I feel this would be a little bit easier to bear in May than in November, but maybe not.

We have all been assuming that she would gradually get better from the surgery, and come home, and then we could face the future, taking it a day at a time. Although we have also been feeling increasingly frustrated at not being able to talk to a doctor. How successful was the operation? What’s the prognosis? I had wondered if this information was being held back from me and my husband but that is not so. Nobody knows.


You needn’t have worried, Janet, although I am touched that you did. Of course I got my VKB – No. 7, Autumn 1935. Nobody outbids Tayside00. With a minute to go, the bidding still stood – seemed to stand – at £23. I intervened when 49 seconds remained, which is pretty intrepid for me. My bid immediately revealed that the ostensible bidder of £23 had in fact bid a great deal more, but not as great a deal as I bid. Users of eBay will understand. There was no more bidding in the last few seconds, so my cowardice in not holding out a few seconds longer was unpunished.

eBay now indicates bidder’s identities with coy codes. The underbidder, for instance, was h***d. Helen C.K.S. assumed that my code would be T***0 for Tayside00, but she says it was 0***y so she missed the fun. On my screen I get to see my own name, Tayside00, so I didn't even know that much.

I don’t seem to be able to enlarge the image this morning – we’ll have a better look when it turns up in the mail.


Sundays are never very productive, and the anxious time spent on the telephone yesterday evening reduced yesterday’s output even further. I’m ready to do the next twist on the scarf. I’ve reached the heel flap of Matt’s second sock. I’ve thought about the Wurm.


  1. What a worrying time for you - and I do understand as we went through aomething very similar with my mother some years ago - at the same time of the year. I don't think there is a good time or a good way. Peace.

  2. Sorry to hear about your SIL. Over here in the US, the Dr. comes out to speak with family right after surgery.

    When I worked as a nurse, we always warned the family to expect the end coming. Hopefully, they moved her to keep a better eye on her.

    I will keep your family in my thoughts during this trying.

    Congrats on your ebay win. I do the same thing when there is something I really want. Then chew my nails while hitting refresh those last couple seconds.

  3. I don't know if there is a good time for such things, such a wait and worry. I hope today brings better news. Congratulations on the VK.

  4. You must be feeling very frustrated with the lack of communication from the doctors at the hospital. Hopefully they will communicate with your niece today.

    I am so happy you got your VK! Well done on the bidding.

  5. Anonymous4:39 PM

    I lost one parent in the summer and one parent in the winter (not the same year), and the season makes no difference in feeling the sorrow. It seems that patients sometimes have a tough day (or night) a few days after surgery, but then spring back in the healing process. I hope that is the case with your sister-in-law. Hugs to you, your husband, and your niece during this trying time.

    On a lighter note, congratulations on your eBay win!

    Mary G. in Texas

  6. It sounds like some sort of infection, doesn't it?
    I know how hard it is to view things positively, but it can be better to be spared a long period of suffering, for the patient, that is.

  7. I thought about you last night when I couldn't sleep. You certainly have a lot on your plate right now but how exciting that you won the VK !

  8. Gail (nosenabook)8:10 PM

    I can't tell you anything useful about your sick loved one, but I'm sorry she is so sick, and there's so little information. I hope there's better information soon!

    Don't you miss the old days of eBay sometimes, where you could see who you were bidding against. Sometimes you knew to give up. At the very least you knew where to direct your fist! But now nothing happens for 6 days, then boom!
    How nice you have a winning strategy. (I'll know how to deal next time I want something!)

  9. Anonymous10:50 PM

    My e-bay system is this: I decide how much I would be willing to pay in a shop. Then that is what I bid, and I never check again until the auction is over. This way, I make my "Last and best offer" first, and I don't get sucked into the last minute crazy bidding. Lots of times I win, but at least I know I haven't overbid..... if I wouldn't pay as much as the winner does in a store, I don't want to pay that much to e-bay!

    Barbara M.