Monday, August 27, 2018


Sorry about yesterday. We had a grand day at the Games, and I held out well. But yesterday was exhausting – an early morning Italian lesson, always tiring and this one was via Skype, adding stress. Then Archie came for a late lunch, no stress, grand to see him, but it left me tired in the evening.

And – second apology – no pictures, yet. I carefully charged up my telephone the day before (and was alarmed to find it warm when I unplugged it in the evening). When the baronet began his march across the bridge, eagle feather in cap, drawn sword in hand, the telephone turned out flat as a pancake. It will take a charge, it turns out, but won’t hold it for more than a couple of hours. I’ll have to go see Mr. Apple.

The Games website is rather busy and over-designed, and contains only the briefest glimpse of the baronet, but gives the general idea.

Since we hadn’t been able to take a car to the field the evening before, we had to sit over on the other side, near the heavyweights who put shots and toss cabers. It was rather interesting.

There was a substantial family of Italians picnicking just next to us, with wicker hampers and delicious-looking food. Eventually (and without a drop to drink) I went over and asked them how to say "Highland games" in Italian. They tried to switch into their faultless English but I persevered in execrable Italian for a few more sentences before releasing them and going back to my party. That would have been a silly and bad-mannered way to behave in Palermo, I feel, but in Kirkmichael I can speak any bloody language I want to.

Normally when I don't know something in Italian and can't be bothered to look it up, I Google it. Yesterday morning, in preparation for my Skype lesson from Rome, I tried that. Google doesn't know how to say "highland games" in Italian.   I felt triumphantly vindicated. ("Giochi delle Highlands") 

Knitting

Tired means tired, so not much has been done. But today I reached the armholes of the Kirigami, much counting of stitches, and divided the work. The instructions said to leave the yarn attached, nearly a full ball, so I did that and wound the next one. That leaves me ready to cast on the first sleeve this evening, when there is lots of interesting television.

6 comments:

  1. I have only been to a Highland Games once - Portree, in the early 80s. It certainly gave a strong flavour of cultural identity.

    I dare say that you have not caught up with "Fake or Fortune" on the Henry Moore drawings. This was a particularly successful hunt for the evidence, the programme only spoilt by the male art critic describing Moore as sitting down to sketch ideas in the evenings "as if he were knitting". And, I thought, your point is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Fake or Fortune, and noticed, like you, the mysterious reference to knitting. I was impressed by Fiona Bruce’ single-minded and intelligent efforts (successful) to establish provenance.

      Delete
  2. I admire you for keeping up the struggle with Italian. I am weak-minded re my Norwegian language classes and get-togethers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:11 AM

    So glad to hear you had such a grand time at the Games. I take it you didn'y enter anything in the knitting competition this year? Did any other Mileses compete in any of the festivities?

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad your outing on Saturday was fun! And God bless Archie! He's a wonderful grandson.
    My copy of Handywoman arrived today! Have barely opened the cover, I'm so looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine arrived on Monday, as well (to Geneva) — so they seem to be hitting NY State. Probably won’t be able to read it until winter break. Alas.

      Delete