Sunday, August 11, 2019


I’m going to Kirkmichael tomorrow, until Wednesday. Back here that evening, or Thursday.

My husband’s gravestone is at last to be fixed in place. We were all set for midday tomorrow, but the stone mason (who is somewhere in the north of England, I think) has had an adverse reaction to a wasp sting, and can’t be there until later in the afternoon, or perhaps Tuesday. Greek Helen was planning to go, and Alexander with his sons. All that is certain now is that C. and I will be there (if he turns up).

I’ll take the scarf to knit and should make serious progress.

And the cats will come too. Despite them, I am feeling almost as jumpy as if I were going to Naples or the Isle of Wight.

Reading:  I have finished “Control” which is a perfectly adequate thriller. Publishers usually ask for two from a new writer these days – I’ll be interested to see what he comes up with next. There is room for improvement, but he (the author, Hugh Montgomery) has Schherazade’s trick of writing short chapters that each leave you gasping for the next one, and his use of the medical background is skilful.

Over coffee after Mass this morning we got talking about Kate Atkinson (a fave) and in particular her “When Will There Be Good News?” I’m sure I’ve read it – I’ve read all of Jackson Brodie – but the plot didn’t feel familiar, and, oddly, it wasn’t on my iPad. So I bought it, and am reading that. It has a familiar feel.

Then I'll go back to “The Last September”. It has a “modern” feel, shifting from the viewpoint of one character to another – and having lots of characters whose relationship to each other one struggles to keep straight. Rather like Virginia Wolff.

5 comments:

  1. Of all the Kate Atkinson novels, that one is most appropriately named. I kept muttering the title to myself as the story progressed!

    Hope you can relax and enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since there was such a gap in Jackson Brodie books before Big Sky, I've been rereading them. I'd forgotten large chunks of them, even though I enjoyed (and am enjoying) all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:03 PM

    There is something comforting about the placing of a gravestone yet, it brings back a tinge of sorrow and loss. Has it really been that long? I enjoyed so much your husband commentary and your referencing of books you were reading in bed. Be well Jean

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy Birthday!

    hope you were able to celebrate and enjoy your trip along with the placing of the tombstone!

    Thank you for your posts - it a daily present from you - here's to many more posts to come!

    Knit Onward!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a wonderful trip, Jean. May you receive comfort and good memories and the assurance of meeting up with him again.

    ReplyDelete