Thursday, September 12, 2019


All well. I’ve finished the slanting sticks, or whatever they’re called, and have embarked on the real charts for the Spring Shawl borders. I got to start at row 10, a nice bonus.

The borders will take a while, but they’re nothing like the Princess borders. That time, one began with the edging, and then picked up stitches for the borders, and knit along (forever) thinking that the central triangle would be a doddle, at the end. How wrong one was! This time, when the borders are done, there will be nothing left to do but the edging. Endless, no doubt, but I love attaching edgings. One stitch taken in every two rows seems like so little, but eventually it gets the job done.

Here’s the promised picture of Ruby in her big sister’s Pollywog. I think they used it – it’s knit of sock yarn, as is the “Overlap Baby Sweater” I have knit for Ruby herself. The Pollywog appears to have worn very well. The next job is to figure out how to get the new one to London, now that they have shut down my local post office. The remaining PO’s are further away than I can comfortably manage on foot these days, and adjacent parking isn't guaranteed.



Jared has issued a fall collection – some good things, as you might expect, and some brilliant photography. The shawls and scarves particularly appeal.

Reading

“Phineas Redux” continues well, although I am mired in a political section at the moment which is all too much like the evening news:

“’A prime minister so beaten surely can’t go on.’

‘Not for long, one would think. And yet how are you to turn him out? It depends very much on a man’s power of endurance.’”

Plus ca change…

I hope Trollope will get back to love and intrigue soon.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:46 PM

    Ruby is very cute, though that sweater is gigantic on her! It does look in good shape.

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, well, she’ll grow into it, but little Ruby Jean is adorable. I continue to admire your gumption with the lace shawls, Jean. I am such a lazy knitter. Maybe when I retire. (I’m sure not.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful little girl! All four of your great-granddaughters will be marvelous “models” for your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:49 PM

    What a wonderful part of the shawl - the finale. although I've read its mysteries - and loved everything along the way, I can just hardly wait to see it. Ruby may just be your prettiest accomplishment this year. Don't mind me. I think that about all the newest babies.




    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a dear baby:)! She will grow into that pulli in no time! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete