Monday, September 30, 2019


Here I am, after all. I woke up feeling odd this morning – a bit dizzy, unsteady on my feet, no appetite, coughing. I didn’t go to Kirkmichael. I spent the morning in bed (except for a bit of knitting at the end) and feel a bit better. I’ll have a proper meal soon.

While in bed, I watched Fruity Knitting 64 – Melinda, you’re right, that’s the lace one we want. Two Shetland sisters, both lace knitters; in their 60’s I would guess. We were right – no lace graphs when they were young. One of them has taken to it duck-to-water, incorporating patterns from Sharon Miller’s Heirloom Knitting into her work and using squared paper to plot out her own designs.

The other, embarking on a major design, knits a swatch – it must be 50 stitches or more – which is a cross-section of a trapezoidal border, edging to square centre. That lets her plan and see the design horizontally, and calculate how it will fit into the corners of the trapezoid.

One factor that I had not thought of, is that an experienced lace knitter can look at a shawl and knit from it, as we might from a chart. My innocent eye is not capable of that – the lace holes seem to pull the knitting out of line. All I’m looking for is k, k2tog, YF, k3tog – but I can’t tell who did what in which row.

I’ve finished row 42 of the Spring Shawl borders. After all that beddery this morning, I ought to be able to knock off a couple more later on.

And I need a plan. This stuff is addictive, as Sharon Miller says; and Elizabeth Johnston warned me not to switch projects mid-stream: that is, not to try to knit a larger-gauge project in the middle of fine lace knitting. But I must finish Thomas’ Calcutta cup scarf (=two weeks?) and Matt’s pocket square (=two evenings?) before Christmas.

Reading

I’m getting on fine with “The Spoils of Poynton”. It’s an easy one, as Henry James goes. Shandy, to my great embarrassment I can’t remember the end of “Portrait of a Lady” at all, although I’m sure I’ve read it. He doesn’t go in for happy endings.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting that Elizabeth Johnston recommends you don't switch projects. Sharon Miller recommends that you have a break from the Princess, using it as a "companion piece", with easier projects interspersed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear of the poorly day - hope it is just a blip. The Apples will just have to take care of themselves.
    With knitting projects, what I like, but don't always manage to do, is to have a couple of projects on the go - a complex one, and a mindless one for relaxation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that when I am knitting loosely with fine yarn and then switch to heavier yarn there's an adjustment to be made with my brain and fingers, or I am knitting too loosely with the heavier yarn. But it is easily sorted. I agree with jeanfromcornwall, I like to have a few projects on the go. Always socks for the tired moments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you are missing your trip. Or jaunt as we would say. Will have to revisi POAL reader years ago and loved it but have vague recollections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you listened to your body and took a day of rest. There is nothing wrong with that:)! Be well, dear Jean:)!

    ReplyDelete