Tuesday, October 17, 2023

 Oh, dear. Grey and cold. The morning was more complicated than I expected, and I still haven’t tackled that computer. Helen looked in on her way to the station. Wafa and I tackled the making of sourdough. I was happy to accommodate her energy with this project, about which I can remember  enough to get us started. We’ve got to make a starter from scratch, however, so the actual activity was brief.

Knitting progressed. I did measure. I’m a long way from the shoulder.

“Literally”: I once had the very great pleasure of hearing a BBC announcer say, with joy in her voice, that we were about to hear of someone who had “literally dropped a clanger”. That is a somewhat out-of-date but not altogether uncommon expression meaning to do or say something awkward or embarrassing. But in this case the item was about someone who had let fall a handbell and the announcer’s joy was for her chance to use “literally” literally. 

Wordle: another three for me. I’m having a good October. My starters gave me a green vowel and two brown tiles, a vowel and a consonant. Mental struggle eventually produced a hypothesis, and it was right. WordleBot says there were two other possibilities.

Thomas and Theo were the other threes. Alexander, Ketki, Mark and Rachel had fours. No news from Roger yet.

7 comments:

  1. Mary Jane8:00 PM

    My husband plays Wordle everyday. He always wants to know how many tries it took you. Today he got it in Two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four for me. I've found Wordle difficult lately for soe reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:07 AM

    I think it is getting towards the season for knitting in red, or in coloured stripes. I remember you enjoying a striped hat one year, and also loving the Kate Davies striped shawl. I've knitted two of that last one.
    Or how about Gudrun Johnston's Aestlight, which is essentially a small and simple hap for the neck? Only takes one skein of sock yarn, and there are some lovely rich reds and coppers in the Madelinetosh range if you have nothing suitable in stash. Something of that size and type is very wearable and likely to be a welcome gift.
    JennyS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:54 AM

    Or how about the Land of Sweets cowl from Ravelry? Easy, fun, wearable and can be as colourful as one likes. Superb for leftovers too....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Like these ideas. How about Tiny Tassels from Loop London? All garter, just one skein needed, then the fun of adding the cute, contrasting tassels. This one is good for "busy" variegated yarns too, with plain tassels.
    None of these ideas would take very long, but you could do a few different items over the winter weeks so there would be lots of interest and variety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. =Tamar3:40 PM

    What fun for the announcer!
    Another vote for bright striped knitting. Random stash in four-row stripes, separated by two-row stripes of a single color to tie it together, worked for a stocking cap I made.
    Hooray for sourdough, especially as Wafa will know that it is to be kept.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary Lou3:57 PM

    I got Wordle in three today - it must have been your recent mention of the corporal acts!

    ReplyDelete