Sunday, February 25, 2024

 Princess Anne wasn’t there yesterday, to see Scotland win a 4th successive Calcutta Cup. She is patron of Scottish rugby, and a most devoted and enthusiastic one over many years. She wouldn’t have stayed away in favour of toasted cheese by the fire.

Since  I am being so feeble about illustration, please look the Cup up in Wikipedia or somewhere. It’s rather beautiful. It is close to being the oldest sporting trophy in circulation. It was made in Calcutta of silver melted down from rupees remaining to a British regimental rugby club, and has been awarded to England or Scotland, as appropriate, after the annual match ever since.

I went to see it once, taking a tour of Murrayfield while it was here. Somewhere there is a picture of me holding up some of my Calcutta Cup knitting next to the Real Thing. I sought in vain for that picture this morning. Nowadays there is a duplicate cup which lives at the loser’s stadium. When we were being shewn around at Murrayfield we were told that the only perceptible difference is the slightly darker colour of the Real Thing.

I first incorporated it into knitting into a Christening shawl for Kirsty Miles, James’ and Cathy’s daughter. That was for a great triumph, in the year 2000. Scotland had lost every game, even against Italy. England had won all of hers. A former Scotland coach, Ian McGheechan, remarked at the time, “They won the Six Nations. We won the Calcutta Cup. Everybody’s happy.”

And I’ve knit it ever since. You can see last year’s effort in the picture above. I’ll hope to tell you about this year’s tomorrow. But I never expected victories to come so thick and fast. 

Wordle: ALL six British-based scored four today. Theo had three, and we haven’t heard from Roger.  My winning streak is up to 54. My max was 67. So it’s getting scary. 







6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:46 PM

    Oh my! Another Calcutta Cup project! Congratulations on the win!
    So nice to have a long cheery post from you.
    The days are getting longer so spring will be here before we know it.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:57 PM

    I admit I really know zero about rugby, but I always enjoy hearing your annual reports on the race for the Calcutta Cup.
    Wow four years in a row is such a feat!
    Well your blog readers are already anticipating another tour de force of Calcutta Cup knitting.
    Maybe it doesn't need to be large - a terrific hat, for example.
    Best wishes for a calm week ahead!
    Lisa R-R, Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wordle, I wonder if you have any idea as to why I keep losing my 'streak' and being pushed back to 1?? There seems no logic to it.
    How amazing to think of all the rupees being melted down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous5:08 PM

      One possible reason is that you are doing it on a different device. I usually play Wordle on my phone but if I switch for a day to my computer, it starts my streak over. annoying but you don’t lose your stats.

      Delete
  4. Your photo of your knitting with the Calcutta Cup was in the blog on February 7, 2020. In the search for “Calcutta Cup” lots of your knitting with the motif included shows up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:45 PM

    That is a some fine-looking Cup. You know you’ve won when you receive that Cup. Puzzled about Princess Anne. Chloe

    ReplyDelete