Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Finished repeat no. 50, of 62 (of the melon stole from VLT). Tomorrow’s medical appointment is a routine diabetes session at the Royal Infirmary. I go along for those, and they usually involve lots of knitting time. The end is nigh.

Kathy in Juneau, I think you’ll like attaching an edging. My real favourite is when one somehow has the whole shawl bunched up on the needles, all stitches live, and knits on an edging which gradually releases one’s creation into the world. But knitting an edging onto a nice selvedge isn’t bad either. I think it might be a good idea to slip a needle through 20 or so edge loops at a time. There's a photograph in Amedro's "Shetland Knitting" of this simple and pleasant process.

What’s boring is knitting an edging by itself, although I like getting it out of the way first.

Your Malabrigo lace yarn in “tortuga” has me hyperventilating.

Core Paths

I’ve run out of things to say about knitting.

A couple of years ago, the Scottish Parliament passed some right-to-roam legislation, and now all the local authorities are drawing up plans for “core paths” which will presumably be published on authoritative maps.

The path past our front door in Strathardle has been tentatively designated as such. We have registered a protest. It is a footpath of long standing, from nowhere to nowhere along the burn, forming part of a pleasant circular walk out from the village and back. We have no objection to its continued use. But the house is isolated, and the path runs very close to our front door. We don’t want it advertised.
The path runs through the foreground of this picture. The fence is between it and the house. As you may easily judge, it is not a major thoroughfare.

There was an interesting article in the Scotsman yesterday by an Important Legal Figure about how the legislation does nothing to define “privacy” or “reasonable” or any one of a number of other terms. That has been left to the sheriffs’ courts to determine. Perish the thought.

We submitted our letter yesterday. I’ll report developments.

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing your melon stole, it is beautiful in the book. Best of luck with the "core Path" issue.
    I read your blog and admire your knitting ... as you are a lace genius why not pop over to my blog and leave a comment so that I can put you in my laceweight drawer?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just out of curiosity, why might one want to put those 20 edge loops on the needle? To make them easier to pick up while attaching or to reduce the strain on the knitting? Or something else I haven't thought of?

    I just finished my first Gladys Amedro shawl--thank you for introducing me to her work on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:20 PM

    You might like to know that Stash yarns in Putney is getting Malabrigo laceweight in some time in the next week or two. I don't know if they will have Tortuga, but I would be happy to check for you, in the course of which some might fall into my basket too!
    Regards, Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I really hope you are left to the isolation of your beautiful home! We will think positive thoughts for you, and look forward to reading the news - Good Luck!

    This is my first time to comment on your blog, though I love reading it...I was very relieved to read that you were home safely around the airport tragedy!

    ReplyDelete