Monday, July 15, 2013

Tee-shirt weather continues, although admittedly it is somewhat overcast right here at the moment – and today is St Swithin’s day.

Here is a summer-y picture of grandson Fergus in Greece. It arrived yesterday.



It’s all beginning to happen. Helen and her family are back in Athens after a happy time on Pelion – see picture above. She phoned yesterday. She will soon set out to drive across Europe with her three boys, hoping to reach Strathardle on the 23rd. The Beijing Mileses are meanwhile in Cornwall, hoping for a couple of days in Edinburgh before taking up residence in Strathardle on the 27th.

Then there’s a week before the real excitement starts.

That’s what we need – dates, and plans. I am not sure when Helen’s husband David will join us – the summer pudding needs to be timed for his arrival. When we were there week-before-last, the berries were just beginning to redden and the netting seemed secure.

There is not much to report on the knitting front. The Curse of Sunday meant that I am still 20 rounds short of the toe-shaping on Mind the Gap Two. Not an impossible target for today.

Jimmy Bean has posted an interesting blog entry on sericulture, with many a tempting link to many an interesting yarn.

Reading

I have finished the late Le Carre I mentioned, The Secret Pilgrim. It’s a series of short stories, artfully threaded together. A farewell to the history of Russia and the West spying on each other, sounding rather our-of-date in these days of other fears.

I am now thoroughly engrossed in daughter-in-law Cathy’s new book, Carnaby. It’s a new departure for her, teen fiction. I am somewhat more than four times the target age, and I am finding it absorbing. I suspect it would be impossible for an author to do without a houseful of teenagers to draw from. It is smart and – despite an utterly depressing background, very convincingly conveyed – funny. And it’s also a well-constructed thriller.


More to follow, when I finish. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't let you go a day with no comments at all!
    Your mention of the leCarre being a touch outdated makes me think - I am at present reading a Morris West set in the near future, which is now past. The world changes and challenges our assumptions all the time doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete