Saturday, May 23, 2020


Dominic Cummings will have to go, and the sooner the better. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. (He’s a special adviser to the PM, an abrasive and widely-disliked character, who has been caught by the vigilant press in an egregious breech of lockdown. Did Boris know about it at the time? The government is sticking up for him, so far.)

The weather continues stormy.

I’ve finished the gradient stripes on my EPS sweater. Tomorrow’s Andrew Marr show – which is bound to contain lots of delicious information about Dominic Cummings, and even more delicious speculation – should move me far enough along that I could hope to show you a picture.

As well as the normal incentives to progress, I am eager to move on to part two of the four-part instructions in Knitter’s magazine, so that I can re-read the next issue. Expecting it to be as good as this first one. The first episode takes us to the underarm. Part two is sleeves, part three, the yoke. Then finishing and blocking.

I haven’t yet decided on a total length. That must come soon. Meg offers some figures, but her prototype looks too long for my taste. Measure a sweater you like, she says, and allow 10” for the yoke.

Ginger Twist and six other interesting-sounding small yarn shops hither and yon about the country, are having what might be called a virtual yarn-crawl next week. Here’s the link, I hope. The venture is called iKnit7, if the link fails. Each day will be devoted to a different LYS. I am looking forward to it, and wonder how much I can avoid spending.

Cookery

I have been dining all week on that mutton stew from l’Escargot Bleu on Broughton Street. Not, perhaps, quite as good as remembered meals eaten in situ, but that might have been due to lack of ambience. Today I braised the remaining, along the lines of my successful sausage braise of last week. Delicious.

I ordered some chapatti flour from Tesco, since they said it was wholemeal and they didn’t have much else in the flour line. It arrived in this morning’s delivery, in so huge an amount (that’s a danger, with on-line grocery ordering) that I will have to bake sourdough loaves from now until kingdom come.

6 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha! You'll be able to share all those loaves!
    We are beginning to open up here in Colorado. Everyone is ready!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ordered the Cecilia Campanero book from Mason Dixon Knitting, although I do wish there were an ebook format. I am embarrassed to say that when I went to look for the Selbu Mitten book it wasn't there. I misremembered and purchased a beautiful (equally pricey) Latvian Mitten Book. Perhaps you will learn to make Chapatti?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have been Campociaro!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Maybe you can share the flour itself among the rest of your family? Unless they don't bake. It make less to weigh on your mind, just sitting there begging to be baked. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar1:35 PM

    Fortunately, flour keeps well. Properly protected from critters, it should be good for at least a year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's an interesting one, the Dominic Cummings dilemma. I'm not a fan of his, obviously, but his situation raises more complex questions than that of the professor who had visits from his lover during lockdown. With a four year-old child to provide for and extended family in the North-East, it may have seemed like a logical thing to do at the time, if both parents were sick. More recent reports suggest more trips and more movement, so perhaps he was regarding himself as above the law. Curious how the way he dresses sets one's teeth on edge, regardless of his actual character.

    ReplyDelete