Wednesday, May 13, 2020


Not a bad day at all, but low on achievement of any sort. I’ve done some more ribbing on the EPS sweater, and joined it into a circle without disaster. I really don’t know where to turn – this was only meant to be something to occupy my hands for a day or two until all these distant treasures flowed in. (Ginger Twist’s “Edinburgh Springtime” mystery package is yet to appear.) The yarn is fingering weight. It’ll take a long time, but can I abandon this wonderful yarn, now that I have discovered in in my stash?

The Gingertwist website doesn’t seem to offer it any more. It was just called “Luscious 4ply”.

After you remarked the other day that you found the EPS on the snug side, I was reminded, Mary Lou, of a favourite passage in Evelyn Waugh’s “Men at Arms”, Vol 1 of his WWII trilogy. Major Erskine (a minor character) was “strangely dishevelled in appearance. His uniform was correct and clean but it never seemed to fit him, not through any fault of the tailor’s, but rather because the major seemed to change shape from time to time during the day.”  Maybe that explains my problem with gauge swatches.

I was rather happy to be reminded that these problems afflict even the greatest. I am using Meg’s reformulation of the EPS over four issues of Knitter’s Magazine, all those years ago. She uses a fairly heavy wool, and the swatch told her she would get 4.5 stitches per inch. It turned out to be only 4, but she went ahead anyway for the sake of some extra ease.

Non-knit

Christine, you must let me know how you get on with sourdough-baking, including a note of what recipe you used. Nourishedkitchen.com?  The actual loaf sounds a good deal more difficult than just making the starter. Alexander’s wife Ketki is the one who makes it in that household. It’s complicated, and it took her a couple of ventures before she got it right. She says not to attempt any shortcuts.

I added “Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3” to my portfolio today, without, I fear, much profit.

Here is a cheerful springtime picture of my new "Gertrude Jeckyl" rose coming into vigorous leaf.





2 comments:

  1. Well Jean I took the plunge and followed the recipe for no knead bread on the nourishedkitchen website. It took a bit of time last night to prep it and this morning i continued to follow the instructions and I had success. The bread rose nicely, has a crisp crust and the texture and taste is excellent. I would recommend giving it a go. I would send you photos but not sure how to go about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell my students how important gauge swatches are, then tell them that gauge swatches lie. I must find Men at Arms. I sympathize with Major Erskine. And Gertrude looks lovely!!

    ReplyDelete