Sunday, May 03, 2020


Not too bad a day, although low on exercise. I watched the Andrew Marr show, which did indeed advance the end-weaving a bit on the Virus Scarf. There isn’t much more to do, distance-wise, but that not-much includes the initial burst of colour. As long as I keep at it, I'm in no hurry. When I actually finish, I'll have to decide my next move.

Then I turned up for virtual coffee after the virtual nine o’clock Mass (which I didn’t attend). Then I cancelled my motor insurance. Then I went on line to the bank and tried and failed to find the direct debit by which it is paid. Some other account? But I did find a direct debit to the Automobile Association and cancelled that. My husband has been a member since the early ‘50’s. That was sort of sad.

The only other thing I actually achieved was a Day Two feed of what I hope will become my sourdough starter. I read and watched on YouTube some recipes for actually making sourdough, once you have a starter. It doesn’t sound entirely easy.

GB is revving up for the 75th anniversary of VE day, any moment now. It will be strangely subdued. The celebrations 25 years ago were very moving. There was a splendid moment when the Queen Mother stood alone on that famous balcony at Buckingham Palace, and after a while her two daughters came out and stood on either side of her. And Vera Lynn sang from below.

And I thought, not yet understanding, Gosh! What will they do in August, when the war really ended? The answer was, virtually nothing. My husband, for once, shared my feeling. He was serving in the Parachute Regiment, in the east, preparing to be dropped on Singapore, and VE day meant but little. (I never asked him, and now it’s too late – how did he know it was Singapore? Or did he figure it out afterwards?) He always said that the Bomb saved his life.

7 comments:

  1. When you start thinking of what to do next maybe you should take a glance at Kate Davies's pattern "The Observatory". It isn't new but she posted pictures of it on the blog recently and the lovely yellow color caught my eye, so of course I have ordered the kit. Who knows how long it will take to get to Texas from Scotland? Maybe we will all be out of our houses by the time I get to knit it, but it will remind me of the virus anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You noticed the post as well KayT! I was able to order & pick up some Brooklyn Tweed on Saturday (takeaway wool), and have completed seven scallops.

      Looking forward to seeing photos of your virus scarf Jean.

      Delete
  2. My father was on "Tiger Draft" when Japan surrendered. That meant he turned up every day with all his kit, and as many as they had transport for that day went to Okinawa. Saved his life as well, probably.
    Watching that footage of the royal family makes me curious. There was a gent in khaki who oomes out just behind Elizabeth, who then bends double and scurries off trying not to be visibe. Who was he?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celebrations 25 years ago had so many more people who had lived through it, as well. My father was in Belgium or France for VE Day, but some of my uncles were in the Pacific and it meant little to them. I remember my mother trying to remember the exact dates once, and shocked that such a thing could have escaped her, when once they were the most significant dates of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am on my 2nd day of my first attempt at making a soughdour starter. Fingers crossed it works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter and I have been successful with our sourdough starter this time. The bread is always tasty, though we are less successful in getting a good shape unless we use a loaf tin. We autolyse the flour (i.e. mix the flour and water together, then leave for 30+ minutes before adding the salt and the starter. We have found that slightly wetter doughs take less kneading and give lighter results, but need a tin to hold them in shape. And they do need some steam in the oven - water in a roasting dish on the floor of the oven. And the proving is a slow process - we start one day and bake the following morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Not so ambitious as to attempt sourdough, but an endless supply of muffins, pies and banana bread like everyone else, it seems. My old mind is even forced to learn new knitting techniques just to break up the monotony. The V-E anniversary looks to be particularly poignant for the sheer absences. Chloe

    ReplyDelete