Thursday, May 14, 2020


Helen came this morning and we walked twice around the gardens, reviewing this week’s trees and discovering a relationship between the rowan and the plain-vanilla ash which needs to be explored and clarified. Afterwards I achieved but little else during the rest of the day.

I have, however, ribbed peacefully on. Picture soon. The nice thing about the EPS is that I am spared constant measuring. Is this 3”? Or should I do another round? I can just rib until it looks like enough, and then proceed.

I fear this is turning out like the feeding of a stray kitten – the next thing you know, you’ve got another cat. I continue to love the yarn. I don’t see how I can abandon it – or the project -- now. You can see a preliminary picture, including the swatch, labelled something like “next project”, on my Instagram page, which is entirely photographed and maintained by Helen.

Non-knit

That’s great news about your sourdough loaf, Christine. Thank you. I had thought that recipe sounded maybe a tad too easy. I am emboldened.

Alexander emailed me today with a picture of some stricken potatoes. Blight? I suggested frost (from which they will recover) and he agreed that there have been a couple of frosty nights recently. I feel pleased with myself to have been so helpful. He is enjoying lockdown a lot. He knows four people who have died of covid-19, and is taking things very seriously indeed.

4 comments:

  1. Hi I wonder where I can find you on Instagram? I read your posts every day and love hearing about your knitting family and cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct about the frost. Even here in Essex we had a sharp frost. The local vineyard reckons to have lost fifty per cent of this year's crop. They would usually have lit fires but made the decision that this was not a good year to do that. we had planted out a full double row of runner beans and all of them were shrivelled as were everyone's potato tops, although those usually recover later in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. leafgreenash3:11 PM

    Your rowan is probably in flower now and in the autumn it'll have red berries that the birds love. It's often called the mountain ash because the leaves look so similar but there's no relation. Both are beautiful but the ash doesn't have those white floweres or the bunches of berries.

    ReplyDelete