Monday, May 18, 2020


Not much activity – I was waiting in for two deliveries – but otherwise not a bad day. A fair amount of knitting, as I advance through the gradient stripes. I won’t really know how this is working until I finish them and return to the basic colour. It’s harmonious enough, I’m sure, but will it embrace the stripes as friends?

It’s nice to be knitting something like this which eats up an appreciable amount of stash per day. Appreciable but useless, considering how much stash I have recently added.

The world seems to be getting back on its feet. I hope so. C. and I have hopes of going on our cruise in May, ’21, but – apart from the necessity of my staying alive that long – it won’t be possible if we’re still trying to achieve social distancing. It’s not exactly crowded, on the little boat, but we all eat together – that’s half the fun – and sit shoulder-to-shoulder in the tender as we go ashore.

Thank you for your comments about the wee video on Instagram of me knitting. Mary Lou, I use both hands for Fair Isle, and have never entirely understood why I can’t therefore “knit continental” carrying the yarn in the left hand alone. I think I tend to point my left index finger heavenwards and pluck the stitch from the taut yarn. Arne says that it’s important to keep the finger low.

Chloe, no, if there was a cat in that video, it was Paradox. My situation is (paradoxically) that Perdita whom I love desperately is a remote and disagreeable cat, who almost never purrs. (I googled that problem once. All Google could tell me was that some cats don’t.) Poor Paradox who is ever at my side, day and night, perhaps doesn’t get the love she deserves.

And, Mary Lou, tell me about Gerard Manley Hopkins’ translation of Horace. (Or I could try Google.) I think they are my two favourite poets in the universe.

Jeanfromcornwall, your note reminds me (although not strictly relevant) how my father insisted, something short of 80 years ago, that I type with both hands, instead of pecking with one finger of one hand.

12 comments:

  1. I googled and found this https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2014/jan/06/poem-of-the-week-gerard-manley-hopkins-horace

    I had no idea of it before that. And my mother made me take touch typing in summer school, because “If you can type, you will never go hungry.” I am and have been grateful that I learned, and it did help me keep body and soul together during down times after college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:31 PM

      I learned touch typing in high school summer session so that I could type my own papers in college. Never had to rely on my typing skills for a job - good thing, because they are slow and in the days before computer keyboards' "delete and retype" necessitated a liberal use of white-out.
      -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

      Delete
    2. Oh, the magic of the backspace correction on the IBM selectric!

      Delete
    3. .. and even THAT required some sort of corrective tape running beneath the ink tape.
      I took typing in High School so that I could type my papers and have some skill "just in case."

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:12 AM

    My mother gave me the same advice, Ironic how in these computer times everyone needs to know how. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar12:09 PM

    I was two-finger typing schoolwork when I was twelve, and my mother got out a magazine article she'd saved from the 1930s on how to teach yourself to touch type. It was a good article, and I did learn. I've been typing ever since, sometimes for pay. It's funny how being able to type went from something only lowly typists did to being something even top executives do, solely because of computers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom and dad kept a typing textbook in the dining room, next to the typewriter, and we were allowed to mess around with it. By the time I got to a typing class, I knew what to do. And yes, I made a living from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne C.10:45 PM

    Interesting to read everyone's memories of being encouraged to learn to type. I was about 11 when, in a boring summer, I taught myself to touch type, using a manual typewriter and a DIY class consisting of a record and a workbook that I found in our house--no idea whose it was. Listen to the lesson on the record, doing as instructed, and then do the exercises in the workbook. That skill served me well, using typewriters (yes, the correcting Selectric was a miracle!), word processors and computers in all of my many jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took typing in summer school at my father's insistance (between 7th & 8th grades). The next summer, there was no "advanced typing", so he made me take the beginning course again. I got pretty good.
    When we were typing words with "x", the word vixen came up. Didn't know what it meant, so I put my hand up and asked the teacher. He blushed and mumbled something about "not nice women". This was no help to me. Found out about female foxes when I got home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was in grade 8 in 1970, all students had to learn to touch type. 50 years later, I'm grateful for that apparent prescience! It's a skill I've used all my life and often been grateful for. I wish I'd had the sense to take shorthand too--now that would have been a real boon!
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is your Instagram handle? There are a zillion "Jean Miles" there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and touch typing? Sister Matthias Marie in high school. Who TAUGHT MY MOTHER... I learned on a Remington with a "slap stick" - a manual machine. She put cardboard over the keys and we had to stick our hands under that apron. She used to say to me, "Your mother was much better at this..." Eventually, I was deemed "capable" and now I type really fast; this skill I learned reluctantly has led me into some pretty cool adventures...

    ReplyDelete