Monday, June 06, 2022

 

I feel good habits are slipping away from me somewhat already. But I ate my prunes for breakfast, and did my exercises. The hip has been very painful, and I couldn’t manage a circuit of the garden with Helen this morning. We sat on a bench for a while. The hip does surprisingly well at exercises such as lifting a knee towards the chest. The only one it doesn’t like is a standing abduction, which means standing there holding on to something and moving the leg out sideways. So that’s probably one I should concentrate on doing.

 

C. and I observed on our circuit of the garden yesterday that it is too late for wild garlic. I think I had one batch, early on. But the last of the British asparagus was still to be found at Waitrose yesterday, so all is not lost. I never suspected, in my American childhood and youth, that asparagus is a delicacy. My father’s mother had a big patch – I remember it in its grown state, a wonderful forest of fronds. My mother’s parents must have had it too, as they had a faithful servant who maintained a magnificent vegetable garden for them. But it arrived at any table I ever sat at as just a droopy, overcooked green vegetable , as far as I can remember. I was sorry to hear about your asparagus beetle, Mary Lou. In Greece I am told they have wild asparagus, sold by enterprising peasants in bunches by the roadside.

 

Knitting proceeds well. I am more than halfway through the first sleeve increases, every 6th round. Soon there will be too many stitches for my dp’s unless I employ a fifth. I will hobble over to the cupboard tomorrow and see whether I have a short circular of the right gauge. I must often have told you that there was a Christmas long ago for which I knit everybody a hat. And the legacy of that enterprise is a good stock of short circulars.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Nothing like pain to keep you from various activities. Please discuss this with your doctor if it continues. Perhaps he/she will suggest a different exercise to relieve the discomfort.
    Fresh asparagus is delicious, especially in season. Here in New York you can find it year round, but the stalks you buy at the farmer's market are the best!
    Glad the knitting is going well, and how are your cats?
    Sarah (in Manhattan)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary Lou12:00 AM

    Well at least we are getting some asparagus ahead of the beetles. I read that leaving the fronds up all winter, which we do for insulation, give the beetles a place to overwinter as well. Clearing it all this year. Grilled salmon and asparagus, plus perhaps a bit of sorrel melted into the butter. Can you get an appointment with a good physical therapist who might help with the hip? Or a good massage therapist? Mine is worth every penny. He has been working on the tendinitis in one of my shoulders and it helps enormously!

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar3:09 AM

    Many years ago I had an asparagus patch in the garden; having read Ruth Stout's book, I didn't bother to bury it deeply, just mulched it. I also didn't bother to cook it - break it off above ground (the tough part stays there) and eat it raw.

    I second seeing a physio and also asking the doctor about the painful hip. If there's no weight on it, I should think it shouldn't hurt even if it's worn out. Could there be a pinched nerve somewhere, possibly in the lower back? Possibly a similar exercise could be done in a different position.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Syd T3:42 PM

    So happy you are home with the cats and that your knitting is going well. Yes keeping up with a routine for your health is important & happy you walked the garden! Hips are a bit of a hassle to pin down, but once the right exercises are presented it is amazing how it improves. I can't tell you how delightful it is to see your posts again.

    ReplyDelete