Saturday, April 09, 2016

You might as well hear the worst: I went to the Ginger Twist Studio yesterday, and I bought some yarn.

Somewhere, very likely in the Bible, there is an image of a house or stable being swept clean only to make room for worse. I’d be very  glad to know the source of that, if anyone recognizes the idea I’m groping towards. And be warned by me, that a purge of stash can lead to an excess of yarn-buying.

It might be as well to list my USO’s (UnStarted Objects), for my own sake as much as yours:

                (sock yarn doesn’t count)

                Jamieson & Smith Shetland Heritage yarn, purchased on the spot in 2013 (was it?) for a sleeveless Fair Isle vest

                Madtosh Tannehill DK for a sweater for my husband; my sister has that lot in CT and will bring it here later this year

                Nature’s Luxury wool, silk & camel, for Mary Lou’s Bidwell shawl

                Oldmaidenaunt merino&silk, gosh it’s beautiful, for Mary Lou’s Neap Tide shawl

                Skein Queen merino & cashmere, for Mia Rinde’s Cameo Flower shawl from Knitty

                Whistlebare mohair and wensleydale, plus a pack of their coordinated skeins for striping, for Carol Feller’s Yorkshire Capelet from IK

                (That’s four from the EYF. I thought there were only three.)

                And today’s purchase: Ginger’s hand-dyed Luscious 4-ply, blue-faced Leicester, silk & wool, to be striped with 5 graduated skeins from the Big Boys, purchased recently at Kathy’s Knits when I was there with J. and her daughter Emily.

I was thinking of knitting yet another Relax, and striping that. ButI am now rather taken with Atelier Alfa’s “Crazy Stripes Tee” which I found after I got home yesterday – How? From Flipboard? So I’ll contemplate that as a possible pattern, and perhaps print it out (I’ve bought it) and store with the yarn. I doubt if the five Big Boy “cakes” would be enough to stripe the pattern as written, but adjustments may be possible.

                You’ll have to agree that the list is already past ridiculous. And that’s assuming nobody has any babies for a while.


                The Ginger Twist Studio is tiny, and delightful. No branded yarn; all local. The proprietors are American and my Bernie Sanders sweat shirt was applauded. 

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had a fruitful visit! I have also found it easy to replenish my stash after a new year purge...

    ReplyDelete
  2. skeindalous11:31 AM

    The story is from the Bible, Matthew 12 and Luke 11. It tells that when an unclean spirit leaves a man it goes out to walk about. Then comes back, only to find the house clean and swept. So it finds seven other spirits, 'more evil than itself', to live there. The point is that when we remove evil from our lives we need to replace it with good, not just have a vacuum that tends to attract new and greater evil.

    There must be a metaphor there for stash pruning and refurbishing, as well as for living!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only visiting yarn stores weren't so much fun. And if only we didn't feel the need to buy something to thank them for being there. And if only Ravelry didn't exist to show us what we could make with what we bought, if only we had the time.

    Your list has made me feel a little better about mine. And I am very relieved to know "sock yarn doesn't count"; that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. at least you have projects lined up for all your stash - I am sure that I have much more packed away - with no projects in mind for most of it (being a handspinner not only adds stash materials, but also new skeins in no time:).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:57 PM

    Those projects sound terrific - great yarns and fun to knit.
    I am also trying not to buy random yarn any longer. Find a good pattern and buy the right (and right amount) of yarn for it. Too many decades of trying to make the wrong yarn work and then being disappointed with the results.
    Have a good weekend!
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun projects list there. I really like the crazy stripes tee - I just bought a gradient set of about 400 yards total. That might be just the ticket to match with some semi solid I happen to have as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just part of a knitalong where only natural shades could be used and someone knit that Crazy Stripes Tee. It was wonderful. In fact, it got one of the two prizes for best projects.

    It was 2013, and I think you also bought yarn to knit a Northmavine Hap, but maybe you have already started it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun to contemplate those gorgeous projects though! I love the notation - sock yarn (doesn't count)!
    I have a lot of 'doesn't count' in my carefully curated private collection, aka stash.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the picture of Juliet's grandma cuddling her in the blanket you made her. I have just started knitting for a new grand baby on the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Matthew 12:43-45.....now when the unclean spirit goes out of a man, it passes through waterless places seeking rest, and does not find it. Then it says, I will return to my house from which I came; and when it comes, it finds it unoccupied, swept, and put in order. Then it goes and takes along with it seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there; and the last state of that man becomes worse than the first. That is the way it will also be with this evil generation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. But surely, if that is a parable, Jean has replaced the evil, or purposeless yarn, with good, as in purposeful yarn. No vacuum exists. There must be worse vices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think my to knit project list is about 30 entries long at this point, most of 'em with yarn purchased and ready to go. I want to get all the patterns printed out and store them with the yarn so I remember the plan (even if I then discard it in favor of a newer shinier pattern).

    ReplyDelete