Monday, May 11, 2020


And suddenly there’s a very embarrassment of knitting news!

I sat down this morning to watch Andrew and Andrea’s 100th episode (very good) and to wind a skein of yarn, with the thought of casting on the Crazy Stripes Tee, faute de mieux.

I hadn’t at all realised how good the yarn was. I bought it at the Ginger Twist Studio, three or four years ago. All I was aware of, occasionally peering into the bag, was that it was rather an assertive yellow. Well, it is that – the shade is called “Van Gogh”, which gives you some idea. The dye is slightly uneven, an effect I adore. The composition is 70% British BFL (Blue-Faced Leicester?), 20% silk and 10% cashmere. Needless to say, it is heaven on the hands.

Halfway through the skein-winding, I began to think, why not an EPS? I had been reading about it only yesterday, waiting for the computer to load. I had the book down from the shelf, you will remember, to compare Elizabeth’s proportions for a raglan sweater with Arne’s. I could put in stripes of those gradients just above the ribbing, and more in the yoke. Or in the yoke they could form a colour pattern. I think Elizabeth would approve of such a devil-may-care approach to sweater design.

So I’ve knit a swatch. All I have to do is calculate K and I’m ready to cast on.

As I was sitting there, knitting the swatch and watching Andrew and Andrea and thinking along these lines, the doorbell rang – it was the Carol Sunday package! AND there was nothing to pay! It was obviously a commercial package, with a transparently clear customs declaration. Normally, there would have been a charge for customs duty, plus another to the post office for its time and trouble. Clearly the Queen feels we need a bit of knitting in these troubled times.

However, I have never downloaded the patterns (Machu Picchu and a two-coloured brioche cowl) and just now, can’t get through to Carol’s server again.

So that’s out, for the moment. I have also, I must admit with some embarrassment, ordered Ginger Twist’s mystery package. I was propelled to do so – this is illogical – when I discovered that Countess Ablaze was offering something similar, except that hers is a genuine lucky dip, whereas Ginger is going to select my colours – “Edinburgh spring” – especially for me.

But that isn’t going to be posted until Wednesday, so that leaves me….

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never be embarrassed for buying yarn and patterns and needles and such. You are helping the knitting economy! That is a very good thing you are doing.

    And I would love to see a picture of the Van Gogh yarn. I made myself a very vividly yellow sweater from MadTosh yarn in the color Edison Bulb, and I love it. Although I did wonder when my SIL suggested only a brave person would wear it. Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane K7:38 PM

    Jean, I have been trying to knit from stash but may have ordered a mystery package from Ginger Twist. I live in southern California where spring doesn't happen..."Edinburgh Spring" was too tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with kayT, that helping the knitting economy is a very good thing! I am buying patterns I admire but will probably never knit because the designers have lost all of their spring and probably summer teaching income. And I broke down and ordered yarn I certainly don't need from Jill Draper. I keep checking my delivery status!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:25 AM

    Knitting with good yarn seems very important these days.
    I too am buying a fair number of new patterns, or adding Patreon sponsorship, to try to help some designers/teachers.
    I have quite a few bags of very nice stuff in my stash - so maybe 2020 is the year for them.
    Lisa R-R, Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:44 PM

    Sometimes I have to choose between helping out the knitting economy and being able to easily close off my stash - also known as The Store. My aim these days is just to finish off what is already on the needles so at least it will Feel less overstuffed in there. Jean, I have been there about not downloading right away. It always felt like "safekeeping" until it wasn't. Chloe

    ReplyDelete