Monday, May 25, 2020


Dominic Cummings has just given a press conference. It took up much of my afternoon (including ½ hour’s lateness on his part). He was wearing a nicely-ironed white shirt which he had previously submitted to me and Shandy for approval. He seemed to be telling the truth (a bit belatedly) and answered hostile questions. I can’t guess how it will go down.

It turned out they didn’t need child care. It’s sad to think – taking his story at face value – that in all that great city there was no one they felt they could call on, if both were ill and they needed help (which, as I say, didn’t happen).

Countess Ablaze, who had vowed she wouldn’t do a coronavirus yarn, is so  incensed that she plans a colourway called “The Ministry of Truth Twisting” – sock yarn only. (And she hasn’t dyed it yet.) But I’ve been clicking on the “Preorder Yarn” button all day, off and on, and constantly find that “This site can’t be reached”. I’ll try tomorrow.

It’s been a pretty limp day here. I knit onwards on the EPS, but we’re in the paint drying stage. It will be a while before anything seems to happen.

Andrew and Andrea this week? They would be welcome.

2 comments:

  1. It was a rare insight into Cummings' view of his own importance and also his thought processes. I would have expected an advisor to provide briefings and background with the PM or relevant minister making the actual decisions. But not according to him. It all made complete sense as he explained it. What was surprising was the lack of political awareness about how the whole thing would play in the current situation. And yes, he had made an effort, but again only on his terms, no jacket or tie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's living in an alternative universe of his own creating. We're all just avatars to be programmed and processed. I'm incandescent about the whole thing; never thought I'd find myself living with such a ramshackle crew in government.
    I saw my 90 yr old father in the carpark outside his sheltered accommodation for a few mins yesterday. So wanted to give him a big hug...
    Elizabeth Zimmerman's advice about knitting improving situations is taking a heavy load at the moment.

    ReplyDelete