Sunday, May 24, 2020


The Prime Minister is sticking with his friend Dominic Cummings, but we haven’t heard the last of this. I do agree, Shandy, that his  costume sets one teeth on edge. I think Mrs Cummings has family in London (who might have helped with child care). She certainly wrote an article for the Spectator (for which she works) about the experience of having covid-19, implying that the experience took place in London. However the article doesn’t seem to be available without subscribing to the Spectator. But if that’s true, it implies that she knew that going to Durham was a bit off.

Here’s the EPS:



As hoped, Andrew Marr plus a Zoom’d parish after-Mass coffee morning plus watching the PM not answer questions about Mr Cummings – provided a lot of knitting time. It’s looking very cheerful, at any rate. I’m a bit worried about whether it’s too big, but big is what I’m aiming at. I could slide the stitches onto the two huge circulars I have as a result of knitting an edging all around the Dunfallandy Blankie all those years ago, and try it on. Maybe I will.

Cookery

This is my unexpectedly large bag of chapatti flour:



 I hope I will tackle sourdough-bread-making this week. I have ordered a dough-scraper and some baking parchment from Amazon, no doubt delayed by the bank holiday weekend we seem to be having. I think it’s worth waiting for them. And I must turn the bag over and find an ingredient-list in English (there must be one) and make sure it’s OK to use it as wholemeal flour.

11 comments:

  1. If you google chapatti (as I had to do, never having heard of it) you will find lots of information about using it as wholemeal flour. Some folks say use it combined with regular flour. Others say it might make your bread hard and not-risen-enough. Other say it's fine. Guess you will be able to tell us how it goes! Can't wait to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean: that is the exact flour I have been using to make bread with my sourdough starter for the last year. I coddle my starter by feeding it white flour, but make bread with the wholemeal and have no complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cheerful set of stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mary Lou - your stripes made me smile! They look like springtime. You will be a ray of sunshine next winter when you wear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sourdough bread recipe uses 75% bread flour to 25% whole wheat. You could certainly experiment to find out what percentage of each works for you. My regular yeast bread recipe uses 50-50%.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the colours of your stripes! So bright and cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing like the right kind of TV for making some knitting progress. I've not sorted out how to knit 'seasonally'. Around now I think of starting a Summer knit, but chances are high I wouldn't finish it until December. Which is when I would start a winter jersey, maybe getting. It sewn up sometime in the following August.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Surprising choice of colours for your new jumper - fresh and bright. I see that Kate Davies is favouring yellow at the moment.
    Yes, how odd is Cummings' choice of workwear? It must be a statement of some kind, because surely no one in the public eye just picks up
    what comes to hand and shoves it on, as if expecting to spend the day sorting out a shed. I keep thinking, he's a grown man and he is wearing old tracksuit bottoms to work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What kind of person goes to his parents’ house when symptomatic with Covid19? That behavior alone should condemn him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. =Tamar4:43 PM

    I used to make whole wheat sourdough bread mumble-years ago. It didn't rise greatly but tasted good, and to be honest, my white-flour bread didn't rise that well either. Sometimes I think we've been spoiled by modern light-and-fluffy bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colors! so very Springy. That is a large amount of whole wheat flour. Perhaps you can share it out? I understand that wholemeal flour goes bad faster than white.

    ReplyDelete