Saturday, May 02, 2020


Tired, but I wouldn’t want to go to bed and leave you thinking that misfortune had befallen me. The day started with a good Italian lesson – Boccaccio turns out to be one of the famous authors (like Jane Austen) who is highly entertaining to read. Who would have thought it?

And this evening we have been having a Family Pub Quiz, with teams competing from London (Sydenham and Streatham), Cairndow, Joppa and Drummond Place. I didn’t distinguish myself, but it was a lot of fun.

And Helen and David popped in, unseen and unheard, while I was having my nap, and left the Financial Times and a bag of FLOUR. I may even have the oomph to launch a sourdough starter tonight. It sounds very easy.

I made some progress with the weaving-in-of-ends this morning while Danielia was here putting me to rights and we were observing Social Distancing. The Andrew Marr Show tomorrow should advance things further. Back in the days of the dear old Knitlist, Selma Kaplan threw a virtual party one year for those of us who weren’t going to Stitches. We sat around her pool – she had had it installed when she won the Nobel Prize – sipping nicely-chilled Chardonnay and knitting our fantasies. Someone – I wish I remembered who it was – spotted Kaffe, in a corner, weaving in ends.

5 comments:

  1. Well I've been out of the loop and started reading new to old, and thought, oh, no, the car has been stolen! But no, just a relief for you. With those costs you can hail a lot of taxis! A family pub quiz sounds like fun, I'll have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar3:17 AM

    That must have been the only time Kaffe ever wove in the ends... ;-)

    Enjoy the flour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re Daniela coming to clean, I've read a scientific article explaining that it is important to open windows from time to time as it allows 'microdroplets' launched into the air from even just speaking to disperse. Just a thought.
    You've got flour! I look forward to reading your sourdough adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:15 AM

    Now I'm going to have to go and borrow an online library copy of Boccaccio. I think there was a movie way back in the very distant past (i.e. before 9/11 and the Covid virus) called, I think, The Yellow Rolls Royce, that was a trio of some of his Tales. It was considered pretty naughty at the time, but not even a blip compared to today's naughtiness.(Going by memory. Now I'm going on IMBD to see if anything I've just said is correct.). And Ditto Tamar re Kaffe's ends:). Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:25 AM

    Whoops. Same time period. Different movie. "Boccaccio 70". came out in 1962. Didn't see it. I think The Legion of Decency frowned on it. Chloe

    ReplyDelete