Tuesday, September 26, 2023

 Another day. Wet and blustery here.

   My home-going draws near. I’m worried about it. If I have to come back here, what will I bring? Perdita will be all right with Helen. I’ve already chosen three pictures. But what about books? Which  are the ones I can’t live without knowing they’re available at arm’s length?  And what about cooking? Can I face a future in which I never slice another onion? Wiser not to think ahead. I’m going home to cat and pictures and books and onions on Friday. That’s enuf for now.

   Knitting progresses, and looks better and better. I’ve now reached round 50 of KD’s Argyll vest, and have nearly finished the third skein of yarn. I’m confident that I have enough knitting (and yarn-winding) to last until I get back to Drummond Place. I meant to mention that KD showed us a very attractive coloured version, the other day, of a two-toned cardigan she had published previously. Unpronounceable and instantly forgettable Gaelic name, alas. I would find a cardigan useful if I have to come back here.

Wordle: My starters — as often, I feel — yielded one green and one brown tile, both vowels. It was extraordinarily difficult to think of ANY word for line three. My starters knock out the five commonest consonants, and all vowels except Y. I finally found a word, and it was right, so three for me. WordleBot in the Times was very scornful. There were a dozen or so possibilities. I was lucky, it said.

   Alexander, Mark and Thomas were fellow threes. Rachel and Roger both got stuck on ???, grn, ???, grn, grn. Rachel got out of it with five, Roger went the whole way with six. Ketki was the only four. Theo scored five but approached that score by a different route from the one just mentioned. 


Roger


11 comments:

  1. Wordle in 3 for me; I was very pleased after a run of disappointments.
    If you did have to return (perish the thought!) could you introduce kimchee making sessions as an afternoon entertainment? It would make for a more authentic experience than the Italian entertainment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:44 PM

      KristenM, this made me laugh.
      Sarah in Manhattan

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:50 PM

    Dear Jean, I think you may find great improvement within a week or two of being home. And if not, you can return to the luxury of meals in a dining room.
    But the joy of having Perdita as an "only" cat will be wonderful for both of you.
    Was anything resolved with the leak in the bathroom? Maybe I missed it.
    And i have started on my list of books read. I went to my library on my Kindle and was surprised by the number of books I couldn't remember reading. Maybe I didn't read them and they are just waiting for me to get to them. Or perhaps they were so unremarkable that I forgot. Let's hope they were in the unread category.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:52 PM

    And congratulations on today's Wordle. It took me 5!!! I kept choosing the wrong letters of the myriad of choices.
    Sarah in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary Lou11:49 PM

    I realized I never finished Wordle this morning, as I had an appointment. Took me 5. The kimchee making session made me laugh, too. Then you can watch one of the popular Korean films!

    ReplyDelete
  5. =Tamar12:28 AM

    The nerve of Wordlebot, claiming you were just lucky when clearly you were psychic!
    Good work on the knitting.
    Kim chi lessons might even appeal to the staff, who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:27 PM

    The heck with Wordlebot. I think you were very resourceful. You thought things through. Chloe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:46 PM

    "Tìoraidh" is the name of the KDD cardigan. As explained on her blog, it means "cheerio", more or less, so that's what I call it.
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous4:47 PM

      ps: can't help with the pronunciation, I'm afraid.

      Delete
    2. =Tamar6:18 AM

      Tearlach is pronounced Sherlock, I'm told, so I suspect that Tioraidh sounds a lot like Cheery.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:20 PM

    I've heard West Coast Scots say "tarrah", as they drop the ch sound at the start. Apparently Welsh has a similar sounding word for "goodbye". JennyS

    ReplyDelete