Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Today

Do you know what that is? It's a haggis. And do you know what today is? The 25th of January.

We didn't go in for this sort of local colour when we lived in Glasgow in the 50's and 60's. I was pleased, indeed, that our youngest child -- Helen, in Thessaloniki -- finished being born on January 24th with half an hour to spare. But now we eat haggis and neeps (quietly at home) with everybody else, and even some whisky with it. A very small quantity of that, in my case. Whisky and I don't agree.

This is my week on duty with the Knitlist. I've already read 94 messages, and it's only half-past eight in the morning. I can't go on like this.

Somebody wrote to tell me that Alice Starmore's "Stillwater" book (which contains the dreaded pattern) is selling for $175 somewhere on the Internet. Does that make me feel a bit better about the weeks wasted on the pattern? No. But perhaps it does make me feel better about spending so much money on knitting.

The Fair Isle jacket inches forward. The ribwarmer, so far, lies where it fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment