Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Long hard morning yesterday. Hence no blog.

My friend Helen recommended Colourway as a source for Rowan Kidsilk Haze – what a lot of colours there are! Certainly better than toiling up to John Lewis and choosing from the eight on offer there. I’ve ordered one ball each of Jelly, Candygirl and Hurricane – all specified in the Earth Stripe pattern. So I guess I’m going to do it.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I finished the secret project, except for buttons and blocking, and cast on Judy Pascale’s Shapely Shawlette, using the cashmere Koigu that Maureen from Fargo brought me when she came to Edinburgh in the spring. (I ordered it, and had it sent to her to be smuggled in, pointing out that that would leave more room in her luggage for taking yarn home. She did it, and I was very grateful.)

Ravelry seems to have caught up with cashmere Koigu – they hadn’t heard of it only a few days ago, when I added it to stash. One other Raveller is knitting with it, namely Knotology, who has done several projects. Her pictures look like real Koigu, whereas I found the choice limited when I was buying mine, and most of the colours pale and dull. I have since read an interview with Maie Landra herself in which she said that cashmere doesn’t take dye like wool.

I’m pleased enough with the colour I chose, but it doesn’t glow like woollen Koigu.

Knotology’s Ravelry project-pictures sent me to take another look, however, at the String website (it’s an LYS in NYC, and cashmere Koigu is exclusive to them). The colour range has indeed improved since the spring. So if you want to be really decadent…

The only other news here is that “Slipknot” has turned up, the journal of the Knitting and Crochet Guild, pretty dull as usual, but with a report of Jane Sowerby’s (VLT) talk to the AGM. I would like to have heard that.

Oh, yes, and a card from Knitter’s saying that my subscription has only two issues to go. Pretty rich, since they seem to have stopped sending me the magazine. I’ll have to get to work on that one.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly when I say that the user Knotology (Ivete) actually works at String so she sees the cashmere Koigu at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colourway is great in person too, it's in a little village in Pembrokeshire, with a great Rowan selection and a very helpful (and chatty) owner.

    ReplyDelete