Monday, August 09, 2021

 

At least I have a decent excuse for leaving you in the lurch yesterday – I fell.

 

I was standing in the kitchen, had just put the plate on the table with my lunch, when my knees gave way. Such a thing has never happened before. No harm was done, but it took me quite a while to figure out how to get up. (I had my telefonino, because of all this step-counting, and there is a key safe at the front door and I know its code numbers, so I knew I could get help if all else failed. But it would have been embarrassing.) Paradox was deeply sympathetic, and regarded me with eyes like saucers, but there was nothing she could do.

 

Eventually I managed to roll onto my left side and raise myself from there to my knees and from there to my chair. I sat there for a while wondering whether my knees could be trusted, then went to bed – finding I had lost appetite for lunch. I got up later in the afternoon and ate it.

 

I feel pretty well today, although I didn’t attempt a solitary walk. I have been clutching my stick for every movement about the house and drinking gallons of Low Calorie Bitter Lemon, my favourite tipple, in case the problem was dehydration; and cutting back severely on cider, in case it was that. I’ll be glad to see Helen tomorrow, back from Kirkmichael.

 

I even did a bit of knitting, on that sock. I am now seriously near the second heel. There won’t be enough knitting left in it for my next cruise, departing next Friday. So today I tried to order some of Arne & Carlos’ new Lof…—no, I can’t spell it. I found it and filled out an order form and was all set to be sent off to PayPal, but the website insisted that my telephone number must contain only numbers. Well, it did contain only numbers, of course. I wonder if it was trying to tell me that it wanted a mobile number instead of a land line? But I eventually gave up. So that problem remains unsolved, and time is running out.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Jean! How alarming. And how enterprising of you to work out how to get yourself upright. I'm so glad you weren't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are okay! I've found that often messages like that one mean that you have an extra space at the beginning or end of the number.

    ReplyDelete
  3. =Tamar6:54 PM

    Oh dear. I'm so glad you were able to get up again. Perhaps reporting this will wake up your doctors. My mother used to have what she called a "trick finger" that would let loose once in a while, so she had to be careful carrying things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So worrying, Jean, it's the not knowing why that is the worst. You are well set up with safety procedures, but the one thing you don't want is to need to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband's stepmother used a walking frame which gave her more generalised support. It was triangular and had a wheel at the front - not a Zimmer. But you have steps to negotiate. Let's hope that this was a one-off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps it was a letter "o" instead of a Zero?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to read about your fall. Having your knees not hold you can be frightening. The cruise is coming up fast. I hope you are fine to go. I will be traveling vicariously with you through your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:04 AM

    I agree with Tamar about consulting your doctor. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  9. You DO see a doctor on a regular basis, right?!

    ReplyDelete