Saturday, August 14, 2021

 

I was still a bit nervous about going out alone (after falling last Sunday due to a sudden knee-failure) – or maybe that was just an excuse. Anyway, I stayed in. And have nothing to show for it, accomplishment-wise. C. is coming tomorrow.

 

Thank you for all your kind birthday wishes. I heard from my Oberlin friend Sylvia, a year older than I am and enormously more vigorous. I still enjoy cooking, but Sylvia regularly lays on meals for six to feed family and friends who live nearby. I couldn't do that. However, she had never heard of Madhur Jaffrey so I recommended her, as a cookery writer whose recipes work. That isn't true of all of them. 

 

I had a good Zoom meeting with my sister, but I forgot to ask her some questions I have about the assault on the Capital in January. I could probably track down the answers myself. When we finished, she was on her way out to the farmers’ market for peaches and corn. Tomatoes, in abundance, they are growing themselves. Oh! the American summer! There are compensations for that dreadful humid heat.

7 comments:

  1. When I was a child I remember my mother eating tomatoes until she would break out in a rash. I have been almost that bad this summer. But, they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated Happy Birthday!
    Somehow I missed your post yesterday, something I seldom do!
    One must always have something wonderful to knit on a journey! Glad you have a new Kate Davies. The Coofle looks beautiful. I love the detail at the ribbing and cuffs, not to mention the gorgeous yoke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is the day that the garden is suddenly overflowing. It has be horribly hot and humid and now I have red bell peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, even cauliflower, which I think of as a cooler weather option. The pressure is on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happiest of belated birthdays! knit whatever you want!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8:15 PM

    oh, happy belated birthday, Jean! I think your gift to yourself is perfect, and indeed, a very cheerful sweater.

    Anne C. in Bethesda, MD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was away for a few days and just caught up with your blog. I send you happy belated birthday wishes. You are a marvel and you make many people happy with your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Another birthday-wisher late to the party here. Many happy returns!
    -- Gretchen (aka stashdragon)

    ReplyDelete