Wednesday, May 31, 2023

 

I relapsed somewhat, after writing to you on Monday, and Alexander was summoned. He came cheerfully, and it was grand to see him. I survived Monday night on my own, and he was here l(and a great comfort) ast night. He brought food with him, which was a good idea, and provided well for me. I still have remarkably little appetite. My sister and her husband will be here for a few days, starting on Saturday. More comfort through the night. Both are brilliant cooks but not much used to cooking since they moved into their retirement community. Let alone, used to looking after an invalid. I’m sure we’ll muddle through.

 

Meanwhile Helen is on her way back from London.  I was desperately anxious that he not be summoned, and in the end it wasn't my fault. She had something of a cold when she set out, and emailed this morning to say that it has become very much worse. She cancelled her book launch and is heading home. The newspapers say there is a fairly serious rail strike today. Helen assures me her train is not affected. Her husband David will be here from Thessaloniki on Friday, I think.

 

C. came to see me this morning. We are uncertain about whether to attempt Mass on Sunday. I fear, if I let it go, after missing last Sunday because of the marathon, that I’ll never attempt it again.

 

I’ve finished Mansfield Park and re-embarked on The Towers of Trebizond. I’m enjoying it. I fear it will affect my prose style.

 

Wordle: fours predominate today, but Rachel did it in three, and Theo needed five. At least I finished dear May without a failure. My winning strak is beginning to look respectable.

5 comments:

  1. Poor Helen! That's a long journey to make while ill- and to miss her book-launch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar3:45 AM

    Poor Helen. There is some new virus that is basically a bad cold with a touch of fever, but it doesn't seem too awful. Not like covid, anyway.
    I'm proud of her for turning back and not spreading it. Book launches can be rescheduled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that family can rally round and I hope you and Helen both make speedy recoveries. Sunday may be too soon for gallivanting off to Mass (!) but maybe the following week? I haven't been to church since March 2020 and miss it so much. I join in with their livestream broadcast on YouTube and instead of coffee afterwards we stay-at-homers meet on zoom. It keeps us in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:14 AM

    Everything seems to come at once sometimes. So sorry to hear! Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Lou3:24 PM

    I'm sorry to hear about both you and Helen! She must have feel quite ill to cancel the book launch! I just spent 5 days with my sisters, so I hope yours will give you some of the laughs we shared. She is a doctor, right? She should be able to help you.

    ReplyDelete