Monday, May 01, 2023

 

The Mileses have gone back to London – much missed. Helen -- writing from Kirkmichael -- says she has been talking around in circles with our neighbour all morning, and getting nowhere, and fears she will have to resort to law. Alexander is coming over to see me tomorrow.

 

James and Cathy both think I should move in with Helen – hoping to be able to come back here after surgery, and then recovery in an expensive nursing home. The hip is certainly getting worse. But maybe it will reach a plateau, and “worse” certainly means that I am hyper-careful about every step. 

 

Knitting has gone well today. I’ve completed the pattern at the centre of the new shall. I now have to finish off with a dozen garter stitch rows. I’m halfway through that. Next will come some tedious days of administration: first winding the next skein, 100 grams of sock yarn. I will use it at once – if we’re going to have one of these famous Malabrigo colour shifts, this would be a good place for it. And next, picking up the border stitches all the way around. That will involve much anxious counting. This pattern (Liz Lovick) does the borders back and forth, leaving one corner open. That sounds fine – but I wish I had made the stitch-picking-up easier by starting every row of the centre square with a YO, as Gudrun does for the Shetland hap I have just finished.

 

Cathy was wearing KD’s Lilias Day pattern which I knit last summer in my expensive nursing home. It looks very good. I chose the pattern specifically for nursing-home knitting. James and Cathy’s younger daughter was here just as it was finished, so I gave it to her. Cathy said that she and Kirsty hand it back and forth.

 

Wordle: A three, at last! I haven’t had one of those since PLATE on April 20. Rachel, Thomas and Theo were the other threes. Poor Mark got stuck somehow, and scored five. Fours elsewhere.

7 comments:

  1. Mary Lou7:15 PM

    I got three today! We must be in sync, Jean. Isn't it always a treat to see a loved one in something we knit for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. =Tamar6:06 PM

    Sounds like a good choice, using that yarn where a color shift would work.
    I suspect that you are right about the situation with the neighbor. If the problem has gone on longer than a day, then my guess is that it is not just a technicality, and he may have lost it, as the saying goes. Going to law is sad and expensive, but sometimes it's the only way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its annoying for yall to deal with this - and he knows he has the Advantage as you need something from hiim.. surely there is something that can be used to get him to budge.... maybe other family members - does he own this property outright or is it a family owed property.

      praying that there is a resolution that doesnt cost the earth but likely lawyers will be involved.

      Delete
  3. I've discovered another word puzzle, deceptively simple. It's called " Blossom" and is basically an anagram type game. Certainly challenges one's vocabulary. You can Google it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous1:02 PM

      Ooo thank you for this. I like a challenge.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2:42 PM

      Just played it! Great fun--thank you! Eileen in Chapel Hill

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:21 PM

    The Lilias Day pattern looks great, and it much have been fun to knit. Knitters do love to hear their work is appreciated and being worn!
    Deep sigh on the long-standing neighbour issue. That must really weigh on your family.
    Would a sternly-worded lawyer letter explaining the existing access must be maintained somehow sway the recalcitrant neighbour to do whatever Helen is trying to negotiate?
    I think you said Daniela and perhaps a friend could continue to assist you even if you were living with Helen. That sounds really useful to everyone.
    Keep well!
    We readers enjoy your daily missives!
    Lisa RR

    ReplyDelete