Wednesday, May 17, 2023

 

There is little to report. It has been a very pleasant day, weather-wise, a bit chill. I sat out on the step for a while. My nasturtiums are coming on splendidly.

 

Not much knitting. The rows are suddenly terribly long. I’m halfway through the 36th one, of 72. That’s more than halfway, anyway.

 

Helen popped in early this morning, on her way back from taking David to the airport. With any luck, he’ll be back in Thessaloniki by now. She continues to struggle mightily with the NHS, to find out what my Primary Care Physician thought of the recent hip x-ray. I think we can conclude that it didn’t prompt anyone to leap out of a chair and demand that I have an operation at once. She also continues to work on the Kirkmichael Driveway Problem. This, on top of a busy time professionally – she’s teaching at Dumfries House next week (I don’t suppose the King will be there – it’s one of his projects) and going to London soon afterwards for her book launch.

 

One good bit of news – I heard this morning from someone at the Yale U.P. who is working on my husband’s Magnum Opus. It had been so long that I had despaired, fearing they had abandoned the whole project. The difficulty is that the Opus is far too Magnum. The man who wrote to me is coming up next week. He hoped I could come out to supper with him and the British Art expert from the NGofS (an old friend). I’m afraid my hip isn’t up to that – it’s all I can do to crawl along the corridor to bed at 7 p.m. these days – but I hope he will call in to see me one morning. Not that I have much to contribute on the subject, but I'd be grateful for an update.


Thank you for the pointer to Serious Eats, Mary Lou. (comment yesterday). Does anyone have an opinion on either of Kenji Lopez-Alt's books? The Food Lab and The Wok?

 

Wordle: Alexander finally logged in with a three late yesterday evening.

 

And he’s got another one today – trumped, however, by his son Thomas with a two. Ketki and Mark and I had four. Rachel and Roger shared Alexander’s three. Poor Theo scraped home with six – it was one of those words where there were too many possibilities. It’s a wonder more of us didn’t get caught.

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:42 PM

    Perhaps meet them for lunch somewhere very close? How interesting!

    ReplyDelete