Monday, April 29, 2024

 Grey, rainy. It’s brightening up a bit as the day draws in.

I’ve progressed somewhat with the Spalding sleeve, but there’s a long way to go — and after that, another sleeve. I’ve never cared for the “magic loop” but maybe I had better face up to it. I don’t think a teeny tiny circular would help — hard on the wrists. Longer dp’s, perhaps. And I could shorten the sleeve somewhat.

   What I did successfully do was order yarn for KD’s MKAL. I went for Jeanette Sloan’s colourway. She used to have a yarn store here in Edinburgh, over on the other side. Always fun to go in and talk to her. Then she wrote for Knitting magazine for a while, answering people’s questions. I don’t know what she does now, other than collaborate with KD. However it was not past acquaintance that prompted my choice, but a liking for her bright colours. 

   Shandy (comment yesterday): I went back, on your advice, and re-read the appendix to Jones’ biography of Allingham. Extraordinary, indeed. Especially, perhaps, in conjunction with “The China Governess” which I have now finished reading and which greatly concerns lost or overlooked sons who nevertheless take after the fathers they have never seen. (Mothers scarcely figure.)  Allingham must have had some sense of what was going on. 

   I’ve now given up and started reading “Death of a Ghost”. No extravagance, here. I’ve got them all on my Kindle. “Sweet Danger” is the first title in the club — not long to go, now — and I’ve re-read that. I didn’t want to burden my failing memory with another but finally decided I’d have to risk it. It seems to me, from the first few pages, as if she’s really hit her stride here. It was published the year after “Sweet Danger”.

   Wordle: five for me again, after something of a struggle. I don’t care. As I said yesterday, all I want is a winning streak. Roger was another five. Ketki had a brilliant two. Alexander and Thomas and Theo were the threes, Rachel and Mark the fours.

7 comments:

  1. I would never have come across the Julia Jones biography if you had not mentioned it here. I'm afraid I lost patience with KD when her patterns no longer had suggested needle sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:56 AM

    Jeanette Sloan has quite a bit going on. https://www.jeanettesloandesign.com/

    Last year she received a British Empire Medal From her blog: “Today I am very proud – and somewhat gobsmacked – to find myself on the Birthday Honours List of our new monarch, HRH King Charles III.
    As the child of Bajan parents who came to this country as part of the Windrush generation, I am hugely proud to accept a British Empire Medal in recognition of my career as a knitwear designer and my efforts to make the fibre space more inclusive, diverse and welcoming for Black, Indigenous and People of Colour. (Not Fine Arts as is stated above).”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was it Jeanette Sloan’s shop that you took me to all those years ago when we first met? I do remember taking two busses to get there….

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Would those weird bendy dpns, addi crasytrio, work for the sleeves? I used the longer length to knit a dk baby hat. They have a strange knobbly shaft but I found they were still okay to knit with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Oh, I'm so glad you've ordered your MKAL yarn because I got an email from KDD today to say that they've received many more orders than expected and have already run out of two colours! Jeanette Sloane's colourway is lovely. I recently tried magic looping a sleeve and found all the sliding of stitches very tedious and SLOW and went back to my trusty DPNs with relief. Shandy, Kate Davies's patterns on Ravelry now seem to include suggested needle size, as do the instructions for the MKAL. Eileen in Chapel Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been visiting friends in Illinois, and one, who had already completed Wordle in the morning, watched as I did mine. Rather nerve-wracking, to be watched. I entered a word that couldn't have been it, but gave me enough greens. She questioned my thinking, and I almost said "It's Jean word!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I call them that too, Mary Lou. Ah, Jean - how your influence stretches 'round the globe.

      Delete