Saturday, April 27, 2024

 The weather is improving. Sunny, dry, even a bit warmer. Helen and David — safely back from Thessaloniki — were here this morning, on their way to Kirkmichael. Back on Tuesday.

   And knitting has progressed. No more disasters. One thing to be said for sleeves is that the diameter is a good deal smaller than that for bodies. I’ve reached and successfully navigated the first decrease round (sleeve being knitted from top down). Still a long way to go.

   I continue reading “The China Governess”. Yours is an inter3sting theory, Tamar, (comment yestetday) that these last two bools were earlier mss which Allingham only sent off in late life, ill and tired. I doubt if that would do for “The Mind Readers”. I think that there she was gambling on the idea that there would be mileage in Extra-Sensory Perception. You might be right about “The China Governess”. But the references to 1939 sound absolutely right, and consonant with Allingham’s own experience of that year. And the action of the book has to take place 20 years later. She always did root her books very firmly in their soil.

   Eileen, comment yesterday, I haven’t ordered my MKAL yarn from KD yet, and I am impressed by the flair with which you have chosen a set of colours for yourself. I’ll do it this evening, and report tomorrow. Promise. 

   Wordle: All I care about is not failing. I got stuck on ???, grn, grn, grn, ??? today. Ketki had one such line. Poor Theo had three. But we all got through.

   Three for Thomas, Ketki, Mark, Rachel and Roger. Four for Alexander. Five for me and Theo. 




     

4 comments:

  1. I'm not planning to join the book club but I'm planning to start rereading Allingham books. I always have to read them several times to work out what happened... it's like watching a magician!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They appear to be remarkably cheap on kindle at the moment...

      Delete
  2. I am finding the biography very revealing as to why the later books have a different tone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:34 PM

    I can't wait to see what colours you and any others here choose! Eileen

    ReplyDelete