Monday, April 08, 2024

 Sorry for absences. Everybody has gone away now except James and Cathy. 

   I am full of enthusiasm for Kate Davies’ new club. She has turned away from Scottish scenery/history in favour of Margery Allingham. A major change. KD is a great fan. So am I. I’m only sorry that the club will run over the summer. I like nothing better than a KD club to get me through the darkest days. Still, in any season, it will be fun re-reading those delicious books in company, with knitting somehow thrown in. 

I wish I knew which book we’ll be starting with. I’ve begun re-reading an old fave, but we’ll probably take them in order. Allingham got much better as time progressed. 

   My own knitting continues well. The Spalding collar is slow. I think I’ve sped up a bit, perhaps with the stimulus of the KD club looming. The end of the first collar — the centre-back point — now looms, but there’s still a long way to go. And then sleeves. I’ve got enough yarn for both collars; not necessarily for the cuffs.

   Wordle: you haven’t missed much in my absence. No failures. We were all very cross about VOILA yesterday.  (Why not VIOLA?) i scored a relatively distinguished four.

    Ketki and Roger and I had threes today. Everybody else scored four.

9 comments:

  1. Mary Lou7:21 PM

    I was also annoyed with voila - it's not English. Today I barely made it, got 5. I have not read all of Margery Allingham, so perhaps this will encourage me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voila. Pouf. Non, toujours non! I've been learning to do a heel turn and gusset on socks with Kate Atherley's dk baby pattern. One could get obsessed with the cuteness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, the first book in the KD club is Sweet Danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jane - Kindle has most of her books for cheap here in Canada, so I've just bought this one. The club sounds like fun BUT: I don't need more yarn, or more plans for knitting, or another wrap. Will try to fellow-travel by reading the novels and following the blogs and Ravelry group, may buy the book at the end - I'm enjoying Kate and Felix's colour book.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:39 AM

    Oh, yes, I too refuse to acknowledge “voila” as acceptable for Wordle. Really.

    Jean, if you have joined the club, you should have an email confirmation that includes your “Welcome Pack” download. In that PDF you will find a complete schedule, including all the books and when they will be discussed. I see Jane has already replied about the first title. (The Other Kristen)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:03 AM

    Margery Allingham, knitting, and Kate's essays are a wonderful summer combination.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As soon as I solved Wordle I told my husband "Jean is going to hate this one." Ha! I must say I didn't like it either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That was my thought too.

      Delete
  7. Mary Lou3:16 PM

    I have never joined a club like this, until now! It will be a fun experiment.

    ReplyDelete