Wednesday, December 16, 2015

That blasted cat has just made off with my nearly-complete blog post.... I'll try again.

The present-wrapping session was a great success, although I under-estimated the amount of time needed, and we didn't quite finish. Still, Gosia got all the awkward things and the big things wrapped, and a good deal of the rest, while I finished the two hats and inscribed all the books and wrote most of the tags.

We had plenty of help....


Contemplating the pile of wrapped objects, and my list, I decided that there was a conspicuous gap which could be filled with an industrious week's knitting. So I have cast on a second Awesome, this time in madtosh Roasted Hatch Chillis. And have made a good start – I should reach the turning point today (2 3/4"). An inch a day will see the job done.

The other Awesome looks good with the not-quite-visible turning-point knit in red. I'll use Whiskey Barrel this time.

I feel a bit guilty, opening that luscious package of yarn when so many important WIPs lie about here unfinished. Needs must, I think. I also think this may be my first venture into variegated madtosh, after a long apprenticeship with the near-solids. The Chillis are knitting up into a lovely fabric.

Judith, thank you for the pointer to the ten-stitch blanket. I had been admiring it day after day in Flipboard without thinking that it might be useful to me. (And I agree with you that Flipboard isn't half as good as Zite used to be – I thought it was just me, getting old and tired.) But wouldn't that blanket be too thin, in Koigu? Most of the Ravelry knitters seem to be using worsted.


I'd better print the pattern and salt it down, so to speak, in anticipation of the next great-grandchild.

Tamar, thank you and thank you for finding my knitting in Google Images' Calcutta Cup file.

Gosia says that in Poland, the domestic animals can talk on Christmas Eve.

13 comments:

  1. Domestic animals being able to talk on Christmas Eve is a British tradition too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:04 PM

    The hats sound gorgeous Jean, the recipients are so lucky. Was your Fantoosh destined for the wrapping paper also?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:07 PM

    The hats sound gorgeous Jean, the recipients are so lucky. Was your Fantoosh destined for the wrapping paper also?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Double up the Koigu?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking along the same lines as Isabella, how about this for your Koigu?

    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/amazing-technicolor-dreamsweater

    Stephen West was wearing it (in the large size) last Saturday at his trunk show in Brighton and it looked good. I'm thinking of making the worsted version which he also had there. Possibly not in the same colours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:44 PM

    Can we all hire Gosia? ...Dang! I live in America. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohmygoodness!!Asterix & Obelisk are still around?!! Used to read them in German when I was a college student there for a semester in the mid-70s! Your photo brought back wonderful memories:).Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Be sure to take good notes on what Perdita has to tell us. You could start the Koigu gifts for next Christmas: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/koigu-linen-stitch-scarf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to love wrapping - now I have no presents to wrap. A question - what is the actual name of the awesome hat? I've come late to the party and can't seem to search it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the photo of spunky Perdita! She is so cute! I love her markings. Our son who has a young cat about the age of Perdita keeps telling me that I DO NOT WANT A CAT but I DO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carol5:00 PM

    For the Koigu: ditto to Mary Lou's linen scarf suggestion. I can't wait to hear what my two felines will say this Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Following up on the Ten-Stitch Blanket, I think thinness is a matter of scale. In Koigu the strips would be narrower than they would be in worsted, and one would likely reach critical boredom point at a smaller size as well. So, as you probably mean about the next great-grand, a baby blanket might suit, and fingering weight garter would be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad to see that Scottish cats get up to the same mischief as American cats....my youngest one loves any paper on the floor and I don't dare put wrapping paper down! But since they know we cannot do anything without their help, we must graciously accept what comes our way!

    ReplyDelete